I HATE exercise. Need motivation.

Options
I've been down the MFP route before, but the same issue always remains - I'm fine with eating well, but I HATE exercise.

I hate it in any shape or form - I hate sweating, I hate feeling so tired, I hate feeling like my lungs are going to burst, I hate the aching for days after.

However, I am going on a typical teen holiday to Ayia Napa in a month, and want to be any shape other than circular when I go, so I've started the 30 day shred. It hurts and it's hard and I ache alot, but seeing people's results has gotten me motivated.

I'm only on day 3, but my hatred for exercise is starting to kick in. I need motivation! Looking for friends to help keep me motivated and vice versa!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Quiet honestly no amount of outside motivation is going to want it.

You just need to want your results more than you want to NOT do it. Either accept your fate of permanent mediocrity or take charge and make the changes happen and become the better you.

Wish you the best of luck.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Try lifting. :) Start slow. The aching is very temporary and it shows you're getting stronger.

You can also walk or do stairmaster below a sweating level and burn calories.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    You really do have to build your tolerance. Keep your end goal in mind too, it'll help keep you focused. Maybe that's not the exercise for you, maybe you need to find something different that you actually like? For me, I've found that I really like classes at the gym; I'm there for an hour and someone is leading me in the proper form, and everyone around me is motivating. I'm also doing Dragon Boating this summer; it's awesome to be out on the lake in the sun twice a week, and learning something new. I do it with a friend and we like it so much we've already decided to do it again next year!
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Second walking. It's a good start.
  • TanishaDominique
    TanishaDominique Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    1shauna1 wrote: »
    You really do have to build your tolerance. Keep your end goal in mind too, it'll help keep you focused. Maybe that's not the exercise for you, maybe you need to find something different that you actually like? For me, I've found that I really like classes at the gym; I'm there for an hour and someone is leading me in the proper form, and everyone around me is motivating. I'm also doing Dragon Boating this summer; it's awesome to be out on the lake in the sun twice a week, and learning something new. I do it with a friend and we like it so much we've already decided to do it again next year!

Dragon boating? What's that? Sounds interesting.
  • JustMe2691
    JustMe2691 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Put a calendar on your fridge, and every day you complete the workout, cross that day off. As you workout each day getting closer to your vacation, that may help keep you motivated to do the next day, and the next, etc. Once you are back from vacation, concentrate on your eating for your weight loss and just use walking for exercise.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It's a long boat with 10 people per side. You have to paddle in unison and there's technique to it. We also have three competitions throughout the summer. The front of the boat has a dragon's head :-)

GWN-DRAGON-BOAT-PROMO-PHOTO.jpg
  • laura789a
    laura789a Posts: 18 Member
    Options

I hate it in any shape or form - I hate sweating, I hate feeling so tired, I hate feeling like my lungs are going to burst, I hate the aching for days after.

This was me!!! then I found something i actually enjoy and I can do it outside or in, keep trying things, you may find something you can tolerate or better yet, enjoy!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

None of this is necessary in order to get exercise or be fit. If you hate 30 day Shred then don't do it. Do something you like that involves movement. Surely there is something you enjoy other than sitting. Walk, dance, ride a bike, play a sport or game, toss Frisbee, swim. Yes, you should challenge yourself, but you don't have to push until your lungs are about to burst and you are sore for days. Just move. That's all. Move.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    OH! Swimming. A lot of people who hate sweating like it. :)
  • teaRayray
    teaRayray Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Stick with it!!! Once you see the results it becomes an addiction!!! See what its like on the other side of not giving up! You got to want it more than anything!
  • justbreatheshaw
    justbreatheshaw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Keeping going! I love the 30 day shred but you have to take the time to recognize how far you have come! Day 3 is still early, but on day 10- look back to day 1 and be proud of how far you have come! When I started it I was like a walrus out of water- so inflexible and sweaty- I definitely cussed at Jillian more than a few times :) You could keep a journal to motivate yourself too- I listed all the exercises Jillian goes through and just jot down how many of each I do each day. Then you can give yourself little goals- "I'm going to do one more today..."
    If you don't like that type of exercise, trying going for walks with some friends or your dog if you have one. When I am out walking with my bestie, it doesn't feel like exercise!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    You can lose on just a calorie deficit, exercise isn't really required it just makes the deficit bigger and can help give you a better shape. I've never felt any of the things you mentioned, they sound awful, perhaps you are starting above your fitness level and that is discouraging you? Find something you like instead of doing the stuff you hate over and over. I do a lot of different stuff along with lifting, but my favorite cardio is pole dancing. Close second is boxing.
  • tomnev1
    tomnev1 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Shredding in 30 days in extremely difficult. You will feel really bad if you don't do it and it will cause you to give up. Start slowly. Walk 20 mins in the evening with wrist weights. You don't need to sweat. DO this three times a week for two weeks. Then slowly jog for 25 mins three evenings a week. Don't do longer as you won't stay motivated. Get some banging tunes in your ears as well. Helps pass the time and zero boredom.
  • FitStrongHealthy
    FitStrongHealthy Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have a love hate relationship with my rec room, I literally glare at the door every time I pass by it, but the funny thing is that I love lifting and I love running.

I honestly don't think anyone really starts out absolutely loving their workouts. It takes time and work and dedication and commitment to stick to it and eventually you realize it's something you feel like you can't live with out.

When I started running I walked more than I actually ran and I my run was probably better described as a fast walk but I was out there and I was trying. I really had to make myself go for a run and probably despised every second of it but still I stuck with it. The same with lifting, I hated it. I hated how heavy everything was, how it was hard to lift things that seemed like they should have been easy, how I always had to pay attention to my form and my hand placement and my feet. But I stuck with that too, because I wanted my body to not just look good but feel good and I knew that was how I was going to reach my goals.

Now, I love running and I get excited about lifting. I love the feel of the wind in my face, the burn in my calves, and the sound of my favorite tunes playing in my ears. I love that I went from running a mile in 30 minutes to running a 5k in 20 minutes. I went from barely being able to lift 5-8lbs over my head to being able to life 40lbs like it's nothing. I love that burn I get in every muscle group after lifting, I like feeling that tingle when I up the weight, and I love looking in the mirror after a month of hard work and seeing all the subtle changes. My husband tells me that it sounds like a weird party going on when I workout. He says that I grunt and growl and whoop and holler, like I'm having a terrible time and then suddenly its the best day of my life lol, and sometimes it feels like that for me too.

Though I hate the room and I hate how long the process takes and sometimes I hate that I have to be patient before I see results, I also love the process. I love being able to tell my husband how much I lifted that day or how far and how fast I ran. I like looking in the mirror and noticing the changes, or comparing current to old pictures and barely being able to recognize myself. I walk in that room every evening determined to rock every workout, giving it as much as I can give, and ending it completely tired and warn and satisfied because I gave it my all.

So yes the process is long and it takes time but so does losing weight, but if you ask anyone who lifts, they'll tell that's it's all worth it. When I started, both running and lifting, I told myself I'll stick with it for a month and if I still don't like it then I'll stop and I find something else. I honestly didn't completely like either at the end of the month, but I had begun to like them enough that I knew I wanted to continue doing them.

I wouldn't give it up so quickly if I were you, stick with it. Find a program the suits you and your goals. Don't give it up until you've completely decided that it's not for you and it doesn't work for your fitness and health goals.

I posted this on another thread a few days ago and imho I believe it very accurately describes how a lot of people feel about exercise, especially when they're first starting out. I still think of lifting or running as a bit of chore, but a chore I must do or I would be a mess. If I didn't workout as much as I do I wouldn't look as good as I do, just like if I didn't clean my house as much as I do it would like a tornado ran through it. That's how I think of my workouts when I'm lacking motivation to actually do them. It's not a "I want to workout", it's a "I have to workout if want to be healthy and fit and strong."

Whether you do or don't workout, it's all up to you. Note the bold text above, that's the best advice I could give you right there.

Good Luck.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    It's human nature to want to do things that are easier and require less effort. Even people who really enjoy working out will have times when motivation drops etc. It's all about pushing through those times and trying to make it a priority. Even if your just going through the motions at times. Sometimes just forcing yourself to do something with out over analysing it is the best way. Recently, I can sit in front of the TV or my computer and convince myself of all the reasons why I can skip a workout. I always feel better if I just get the job done and don't listen to the great excuses my mind tries to conjour up to be lazy. Eventually it becomes a learned behaviour/mind set.
  • Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm the same - just hate exercising. But I know I'm never going to have the figure I want if I don't do it, so like you started up the 30 day shred - currently on day 5 and doing ok. Seeing little improvements day to day is keeping me motivated and actually encouraged me to want to do more to strengthen my body as the workout really has shown me how weak I am. Other than that, try finding things you enjoy - I do enjoy hula hooping and walking so make sure I incorporate those, and considering trying things that seem like they have a 'purpose' like cycling and swimming.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    find stuff that doesn't feel like exercise. hooping, swinging poi, I do aerial yoga, but there are other aerial arts. dancing like zumba. there area always all the pinterest tv show or commercial workouts that are fun and silly.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Oh honey. You remind me of my granddaughter. So much. What do you love? My granddaughter does dance for joy and exercise.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I've been down the MFP route before, but the same issue always remains - I'm fine with eating well, but I HATE exercise.

So you hate dancing, sex, and shopping (all that walking, you know)?