Knee Issues - Just Walking Hurts

Options
I need to get in shape. I feel like I am ready. However, even walking at 3mph hurts my knees, even in running shoes. Oddly enough, squats don't seem to hurt my knees, but god forbid I do lunges.

How do you get the lower body of people that do intense lunges/squats when you have horrible knees? I know a lot of people on here shun Pilates, but I feel those are the only exercises that do not hurt my knees. I really, really want to do the JM videos, but they obviously have so many lunges. I don't know what to do.

Could pairing a full Pilates DVD (about 50 minutes) five days a week with 30-45 minutes of the elliptical every other day get me *some* noticeable (though not final) results? I am 5' 4" and 160-165 at the moment. I know it is a lot of exercise, but I don't know how else to slim down my waist and below.

Please, please, please help. I am nearly in tears over this.

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Anything will help, but will help the most is what you eat. Exercise (anything really) is good for toning and feeling fit, but to lose weight you have to eat at a calorie deficit.

I love my pilates classes, can you get in a pool? that is always great and not hard on the knees. How about a bike?
  • rosestring
    rosestring Posts: 225 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I don't have access to a pool right now, but I do have an exercise bike in the fitness center where I live. I will give it a shot.

Has anyone found the elliptical or bike to be more effective?
  • JustMe2691
    JustMe2691 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You could do squats in place of the lunges until you can start some low level lunges. I hated lunges all along because they hurt my knees as well, but had to finally realize that just like with all exercise, I needed to start at the very beginning. When you do lunges, pay very close attention to your form instead of trying to keep up with the program pace. And you can do lunges by just dropping a few inches. You don't have to start by putting your knee to the floor.

And I agree with suruda, losing weight is about your calories. Exercise is for fitness.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Try the Stairmaster. Because the range of motion is limited, it's one of the easiest things out there on knees!

Walk only at a steep incline on the treadmill. Again, that's easier on knees.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    Slimming is about calories, but when you're as small as you are to start with, exercise gives you more of a cushion to eat "full." Track your calories. Stay below 1500. Try SWORKIT (phone app) and skip the exercises you can't do. Stairmaster is way better than elliptical for burning calories. ....And that's it. :)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Use the upright bike at the gym, not the recumbent. Different muscles used.

If the upright bike doesn't hurt, go see an orthopaedic doctor. (see them even if it does hurt).
    If cycling and squats don't hurt but running/walking does, it sounds like patellafermoral syndrome to me since I've had it (have it?). It's an imbalance in the muscles in the quads, cycling/squats/lunges help correct the imbalance.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    Bike hurts for me but Stairmaster doesn't. :) Depends on the messed-up muscles!
  • teaRayray
    teaRayray Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The bike is always good! Just as long as it's not on a super high intensity. I know lunges and walking a whole lot hurt me but that's because i have pre-mature arthritis, no miniscus and an acl tear (not saying you have any of those!) Start with the basics for lunges, no weight, in place, making sure you nail the form. For walking maybe get better supportive shoes? You can always add in a supplement called glucosamine which helps your joints! When it comes to losing the weight diet is the key! Working out is the fun part! But if it continues hurting I would definitely see a doctor because something as simple as walking shouldn't hurt! I feel like that was all over the place but just trying to help :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Bad knees here. Can't do lunges yet but I do lots of squats. I hear the bike is good.
  • justbreatheshaw
    justbreatheshaw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you considered being fitted for a pair of shoes? I had knee problems and even had arthroscopic surgery before my physical therapist suggested it might be my shoes. I had always just purchased good running shoes that seemed comfortable. I went to a place where they put me on the treadmill and analyzed my stride and the shoes they suggested were totally different from what I normally wore. I had some pronation and I apparently needed more stability than I was wearing.
    Of course, I had already damaged my knees and I needed the surgery but afterwards my knees still hurt until I switched shoes. I haven't had any issues since and for me, cardio is my exercise of choice- I like to be outside!
    Just a suggestion- good luck with your fitness goals!! :)
  • rosestring
    rosestring Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! I guess I will try to keep my caloric intake at 1500 while slowly working up to doing full lunges. I hope it works.

So a JM DVD such as 30 Day Shred or NMTZ should be okay as long as I focus on my form, moving slowly at first?