Skinny Fat

Options
Hello everyone! I'm just a beginner here and I started working out last February 2015. I would like to know if should I cut my fat first or gain mass. I'm 22 years old male, 20%BF, Currently 148 lbs(I was 138lbs, last February 2015 with 23%BF), and 5'4" height. Thank you!

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    most would recommend getting your body fat below 15% before bulking…

what are you using to measure body fat?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    cut first
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

^This

And:

^This.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Cut, work on form, and use moderate to heavy weights. Get below 15% body fat and then start a slow bulk or (if you're patient) a recomp.
  • inocallaruinico
    inocallaruinico Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I'm using a bodyfat caliper.

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Well, those things are notoriously difficult to use accurately - even if you've had some training with them.

I personally, don't go by numbers. But looking in the mirror and making a determination requires you to take the emotion out of it and try to look at yourself objectively. That's easier said than done.

One trick is to take some pictures of yourself, but don't look at them right away. Leave it till the next day when you have a moment and take a cool look at what you see. Identify how lean you think you look. Then ask yourself how happy you'd be to walk around with some extra fat on top of what you've already got for 3-5 months (or however long you think your bulk/cut cycle will last). Your answers to those questions should probably guide you. If you think you can't be objective then opening yourself up to the opinion of an unbiased third party would be the best alternative.

On the other hand, at some point though there's little point cutting further if you've got nothing to cut to. Sometimes you have to say eff it and spend some time building a base, then cut back and see where you are.

If you are truely 14-15% and think you lack the base to cut to, then a slow bulk (if you can conquer the mental aspect) could be timely...

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »

Well, those things are notoriously difficult to use accurately - even if you've had some training with them.

I personally, don't go by numbers. But looking in the mirror and making a determination requires you to take the emotion out of it and try to look at yourself objectively. That's easier said than done.

One trick is to take some pictures of yourself, but don't look at them right away. Leave it till the next day when you have a moment and take a cool look at what you see. Identify how lean you think you look. Then ask yourself how happy you'd be to walk around with some extra fat on top of what you've already got for 3-5 months (or however long you think your bulk/cut cycle will last). Your answers to those questions should probably guide you. If you think you can't be objective then opening yourself up to the opinion of an unbiased third party would be the best alternative.

On the other hand, at some point though there's little point cutting further if you've got nothing to cut to. Sometimes you have to say eff it and spend some time building a base, then cut back and see where you are.

If you are truely 14-15% and think you lack the base to cut to, then a slow bulk (if you can conquer the mental aspect) could be timely...

agree.

OP you can post some pictures in here and we will try to give you an estimate …..

• inocallaruinico
    Options

agree.

OP you can post some pictures in here and we will try to give you an estimate …..

Omg thank u so much guys! I need to figure out how to post a photo on here
  • inocallaruinico
    Options

Thank u man! I truely appreciate your advice!
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options

Agreed. BodPod, Dexascan, or hydrostatic weighting are the only true ways to measure bodyfat accurately. Useful at the start of a cut to figure out goal weight and take some guesswork out of calorie planning, but ultimately not useful otherwise to get this level of accuracy.
  • benjam2421
    benjam2421 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    by seeing your avi and your shoulders i dont think you are at 20% but i am not an expert
  • gtmfitness
    gtmfitness Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If I were in your position.....

I would stick to a small calorie deficit.
    Probably around 200-300 calories below maintenance.

Focus on training in the 4-6 rep range with emphasis on these exercises:
    Incline Bench Press
    Standing Shoulder Press
    Weighted Pull Ups or Chin Ups
    Barbell Curls
    Pistol Squats
    Hanging Leg Raises

Chances are, since you are a beginner, you will drop body fat while maintaining your muscle and strength and most likely will add some more.

More advanced weightlifters can't lose fat and build muscle at the same time.