Lifelong attempts to lose weight have failed. I'm giving it another shot.

Options
Guaguapai
Guaguapai Posts: 1 Member
edited June 2015 in Motivation and Support
My name is Amira. I'm a 22 year old college student currently at 295 lbs.
I was raised in a family of overweight people constantly surrounding me. My mother was obsessed with fad diets as she went from a size 2 in her 20's to a size 22 after having kids. As a kid I was pressured a lot to lose weight but was never taught how to do that in a healthy and effective way. My family has always had rather unhealthy eating habits, partly due to our cultures because our diets are traditionally very dense and high in fat. Now that I'm in college, I want to take control of my weight on my own and do this for my own health and happiness. I'm also afraid of certain illnesses like diabetes and high cholesterol as they run on both sides of my family (and my mother has both). Last year I was diagnosed with PCOS and I became extremely discouraged once they put me on medicine that made me gain weight very rapidly. Since last year I've gained close to 50 lbs and I've stopped taking the medicine, but my doctor only suggested to me that I find a way to get the weight off before trying new medicines.
I really don't know where to start. I've been trying to exercise at home between school and work, but I feel like everything I'm doing is too little to make a difference. I find myself having to stop only a few minutes into my workout and rest, then pick up again. I know every little thing helps but it causes a lot of pain. I have to also mention that I was in two car accidents in the past 3 years that severely impacted my capability to exercise for a long time. I'm still recovering from the most recent one last year.
There seems to be so many factors working against me but I really am focusing on changing my perspective on them. I don't want these excuses to continue being valid reasons for why I am living at this weight and so unhappy with myself.
I don't have anyone here to support me. My family thinks it's something I'll get bored of and they don't make any effort to help me or be conscious of my choices, and I desperately don't want them to be right about this being a phase. Any encouragement or advice would be so graciously appreciated.

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I don't have PCOS, but search the forums here, and you'll find you are in good company. Lots of success stories. Read them and learn from them. From what I hear, you will have to be very patient, but there is no reason for you not to reach your goal. You CAN do this!! Good luck!
  • kjpd454
    kjpd454 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    :) me too
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    It's not up to your family to support or motivate you--that is your job.

Is your PCOS being treated by a PCP or are you seeing an endocrinologist?

The best thing that you can do is to make exercise a habit, even if you are only doing a little bit to start out.
  • NesCastanon
    NesCastanon Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hello Amira. Welcome to MFP. like yourself I became fed up with my weight and health and decided to change that. Hardest part is just starting, once you start you can build momentum. It was tought for me in the beginning since I was not active at all. Like you I would start exercising and become tired after a minute or so and then resume. That is normal, you will build up endurance over time. You are just trying to do more than your body is ready to handle at this moment in time. Be committed to this lifestyle change, make small changes now and gradually you will reap the rewards of your efforts. Remember it took us a while to get big, it will take a while to lose weight so be patient. I have only been doing this for 112 days and so far I am down 35lbs. I slip up every now and then but it is how you respond. Get back at it the very mext day. Add me for support and motivation if you like. I am a newbie but I would be glad to share anything I have learned so far.
  • kforehand23
    kforehand23 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello Amira! I understand where you're coming from. I have battled obesity my whole life too. It's hard when you're surrounded by others making unhealthy choices. I was on medication when I was younger that made me gain. So I've been there!!!

Good for you starting to workout! Starting out sometimes you do have to only do a couple minutes at a time then rest. It won't be long and you'll realize you last a couple more minutes before stopping and eventually you'll be doing half an hour without batting an eye.

You may feel you have many factors working against you but think how much more accomplished you'll feel overcoming those obstacles! You got this! feel free to add me if you want some support and motivation. Good luck! !