What food scale to buy? Under $30

Options
I have been logging my food fairly consistently over the past two months and I am finally convinced that I am eating much more than I previously thought. I am slowly losing and that is great but I want to fine tune this thing and get in the best shape I have been in since my teens.

Any recommendations for an accurate yet affordable food scale that I can buy is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• cassandrag93
    cassandrag93 Posts: 825 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I bought one for 98 cents at Walmart. Weighs up to 6 cups, I haven't had any problems with it yet. NOTE: (It is very small, but perfect for what I'm looking for) I bought it last week to start measuring my foods correctly. There was some for $5 $15 and as high as $30. Just depends on what you're looking for in terms of your scale. Good luck.
  • jhard728
    jhard728 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I bought one for 98 cents at Walmart. Weighs up to 6 cups, I haven't had any problems with it yet. I bought it last week to start measuring my foods correctly. There was some for $5 $15 and as high as $30. Just depends on what you're looking for in terms of your scale. Good luck.

Cassandra, Thanks for the info. Does it seem to be fairly accurate at this point?

• fish2find
    fish2find Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Look here:
    Insane selection, great prices. Ive bought from here in the past and recommend them to folks I know.
    http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/
  • cassandrag93
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Works like a charm for me, like I stated just a little small. However I just use it to weigh out 4oz of meat. I'll take a picture of it and upload it, give me a second. :)
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    We really like this scale: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-5-Pound-Pull-Out-Display/dp/B0020L6T7K

The front section pulls out to allow for larger items on the scale, and you can switch on the fly between grams/ounces.
  • cassandrag93
    Options
    3l0t36qom2qm.jpg

My mistake, it holds up to 6.6 lbs not cups. My apologies, but that being said here is the picture. Little, but accurate for me. You can always try Amazon, they normally have great deals.
  • jhard728
    Options
    Thanks, I think I will swing by Wal-Mart or Target on my way home and see if I can find one there. I am really just going to be using it to weight chicken breast, fruit and veggies.
  • cassandrag93
    Options
    Let us know if you find anything :)

Good luck!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I used the post office one with great success, but wanted something I didn't have to cover with plastic wrap.

I bought one and didn't like it. Slower than PO one and harder to read.

Bought another, same deal.

I'm back to using the PO one. It's under $30 and they sell it at my PO, so maybe yours, too.

It weighs heavier things, too. :)
  • jhard728
    Options
    I went to Target after work and bought the Taylor Glass Top Digital Food Scale up to 11 lbs. Seems to work great so far and I was definitely underestimating the weight of the food I was eating. For example, I thought my chicken breast this morning would weigh 6 ounces and it was 7.4 oz.

Thank you all for the help.