Feeling fat

Options
So I've been doing 100 push ups a night, and eating pretty well 5 days a week. Some days I have non clean foods but portion it out reasonably. The scale jumped 10 lbs in a few weeks, even though I still fit the same clothes. I have been eating wheat subs from subway a little more often when I don't prep for a particular day. I cut my "in the gym" days from 3 to 2. However, I have been averaging 8k steps a day this entire month coupled with those push ups every day. I drank maybe 8-10 beers this month. Overall, I'm still moderately active so I'm trying to figure out why people say I'm still look the same as before but I feel fatter. Any suggestions? Anyone else going through this?

Replies

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Can't out-exercise your fork. You need to correctly log your food. All will become VERY clear!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking what you're eating in your diary?
    Do you use a food scale and measuring cups (for liquids)?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Lots of info...very little of it relevant I'm sorry to say.

If you've put on 10 lbs, you've eaten more calories than you've burned.

Eating "pretty well" "non clean" "reasonably" etc and "100 push ups" "2 days in the gym" "8k steps" ...none of that matters at the end of the day.

If you eat fewer calories than you burn, over a long time-frame, you'll lose weight. If you eat exactly-ish what you burn, you'll maintain, if you eat more than you burn, you'll gain.

Feeling fatter could be the 10 more pounds, or it could just be bloating from something you ate.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the beers aren't helping, but that's only about half a pound of weight. There are worse places to eat than Subway, but some of what Subway serves has a significant number of calories in it. But realistically, it is probably the calories in the stuff you aren't telling us about that are causing the biggest problem.
  • domineer4life
    domineer4life Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I log my food religiously. I don't calorie count my food, just eye ball it. That has been working for me, as I went from 270 lbs on here to 231 lbs at my lowest. For the past 7 months, I've been keeping it in the high 240s. I can still fit the same clothes as I did at 231. Yesterday, during the afternoon (bad time to weigh, I know), it said 254. My body is known to fluctuate 10 lbs during a week. For the past couple of months, I've been weight training and doing 20 mins of cardio (mainly elliptical) afterwards. I chart my food religiously via Gnotes (android app), though I do not drive myself insane by worrying about calorie count. I believe the 10 lbs is bloat, so to circumvent, I am going to up my daily water intake from 68 oz/day to 100oz/day. Also, I will have to adjust my diet and cut out some things. The real goal here is to tone up and lose body fat. I use weight as a guage mostly.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I log my food religiously. I don't calorie count my food, just eye ball it. That has been working for me, as I went from 270 lbs on here to 231 lbs at my lowest. For the past 7 months, I've been keeping it in the high 240s. I can still fit the same clothes as I did at 231. Yesterday, during the afternoon (bad time to weigh, I know), it said 254. My body is known to fluctuate 10 lbs during a week. For the past couple of months, I've been weight training and doing 20 mins of cardio (mainly elliptical) afterwards. I chart my food religiously via Gnotes (android app), though I do not drive myself insane by worrying about calorie count. I believe the 10 lbs is bloat, so to circumvent, I am going to up my daily water intake from 68 oz/day to 100oz/day. Also, I will have to adjust my diet and cut out some things. The real goal here is to tone up and lose body fat. I use weight as a guage mostly.

There is your problem.

Try reducing sodium as well if you feeling bloated.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    That has been working for me, as I went from 270 lbs on here to 231 lbs at my lowest.

I would say it HAD been working for you. Congrats on the weight loss so far...that's great!

When you have a lot to lose, you also have a lot of margin for error, so eyeballing is generally not too problematic. But now that you've lost 40 lbs, you've lost a lot of that margin for error, so knowing and tracking what you're taking in more accurately is going to be required.
  • domineer4life
    Options
    thanks for the info @ceoverturf and @yopeeps025 . Both of you make valid points. My sodium has been high now that I think of it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Lots of info...very little of it relevant I'm sorry to say.

If you've put on 10 lbs, you've eaten more calories than you've burned.

Eating "pretty well" "non clean" "reasonably" etc and "100 push ups" "2 days in the gym" "8k steps" ...none of that matters at the end of the day.

If you eat fewer calories than you burn, over a long time-frame, you'll lose weight. If you eat exactly-ish what you burn, you'll maintain, if you eat more than you burn, you'll gain.

Feeling fatter could be the 10 more pounds, or it could just be bloating from something you ate.

all of that....

i would be hysterical if i gained 10 pounds in a short amount of time (actually at all but whatever LOL). But then, I work out every day, weigh my food, monitor my calories and intake, etc etc etc
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I started out at 254 and I am down to 226 since april. I consitantly lose a couple of pounds every week. But I do know that closer I get to 200 the weight loss is going to slow down. As they said your margin of error is a lot less. So now is the time to get a scale and get real serious about it.
  • domineer4life
    Options
    So just to see if this water intake thing has been working....I weighed myself moments ago. I am two lbs lighter than yesterday, with no physical exercise. I urinated a lot today with no bowel movements. I believe sodium is the culprit. I'm hoping i'll be back down to 240ish by next week.