Exercise for 250lbs+

Options
I am currently at 274lbs and looking to start exercising more, I've recently started an office job and the transition from being on my feet all day in retail to being sat on my *kitten* for 8 hours a day has made a noticeable effect on my fitness and stamina. Only thing is, being the size I am, I'm fairly restricted in the exercise I do. I also have an arthritic ankle and hip (At the age of 24) so I need more low impact exercises and am unable to walk long distances. Preferably I'd like to start with home workouts as I'm a bit embarrassed to go outside or to the gym for fear of ridicule! Although I did go out on my bike for the first time in 10 years today (yay me!).
Does anyone have any tips on how I can get more active?

Replies

• beccyarrr
    beccyarrr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    oops, i got censored... can I say bum?
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    this is not a stay at home thing, but even when i was at 335 pounds, i enjoyed walking. I just went around the block.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Just do how ever much you can do, and slowly add more and more distance and/or speed.
  • xlaura85x
    xlaura85x Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Get ur self some light weights and start doing arm reps.
    U can do some floor exercises like leg lifts. Situps, Try the plank also. I put in headphones and just dance/do squats etc.. to my fave tunes. Burns calories!! Start small and go bigger when ur more flexible and have more stamina. Good luck. And obviously watch what u eat. Eat real food.Xx
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Look up chair exercises or leslie sansone "walk away the pounds"
    Going to a pool would be beneficial for your situation but I could understand you not being ready to go out.
    The 1st 2 options are great for something to do in the privacy of your own home and familiar surroundings!
    See about recording workout videos (that's what I did) or see if you library carries any.
    With the walking, start off walking in place, then back & forth in your home.
    Motivate to the driveway and before you know it, youll build up endurance to move past that to be able to walk your block/neighborhood!
  • ddetermined2013
    ddetermined2013 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Dont be embarrassed to go out my daughter weighs about the same as you ur really not that big u should try and walk as much as u can even if its only up and down ur street swimming is good to ur in the water nobody can really c u and while ur at home try jumping jacks and walking in place im so lazy i can only do 20 at a time but i figure its better than nothing and i will do it 3 times through the day when im home also if im laying in my bed watching tv ill put the remote at the end of my feet so i'll have to do a sit up to get it encoureges me to do more hope this helps
  • jenspears31
    jenspears31 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My highest weight was 260lbs. I had kids back to back (13months apart) I knew I had to do something...I started off with the original TAE BO it's on you tube. It's only 25 min...I did this workout along with a diet and my fitness pal. The weight started dropping...I also found Zumba workouts on you tube and did those...when I built enough endurance and lost 70lbs I knew I wanted to try INSANITY program I bought that was in my closet collecting dust. I'm currently on month 2. It's brutal but I keep going . Start slow and work your way up!* you can do it!
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I started at 530 lbs and have mobility issues with my hip. My main form of exercise was my bicycle and swimming. Just recently I started doing DDP Yoga which i dint think i would get into, but its DDP so it was worth a shot.
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    What do you enjoy doing? Do you enjoy biking? Walking? Dancing? Lifting weights? If there is some sort of activity you even enjoy a little, do that so you will be more likely to continue. Good luck!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I started at your weight and for a long while I just walked more. I am amazed that you got on your bike! I could not balance until I got under 200 pounds. The bike is easier on the knees.

Here's my list of at-home exercises, many that are friendly for bigger people.

https://www.pinterest.com/janetkarasz/fitness-at-home/

And yes, swimming is always recommended to me because it is easier on the joints.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    By the way, I did Zumba but modified for low impact. I faked it until I made it.
  • mirlredmann
    mirlredmann Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Works best for me: never use motorized transportation (which sometimes has me cycle 20km a day), swimming, long walks and hiking weekends (though I could only do them when I reached about 180 pounds, before my knee and ankles hurt). I also have three desks for my office job: one "normal", one standing up, one medium height with a stool so I change work places a lot - which ever way, try to keep moving at work: don't call or mail your colleague, walk over, take stairs instead of elevator etc... .
    But really, you need not be ashamed of showing your body when working out: at the public pool, in the gym, I even experienced that when I recently started running: people don't usually look at YOU. They don't see other persons they see how they compare to you, they won't recognize you on the street and probably not next week at the same place. That's just a normal fixation, because we look into the mirror a lot and compare ourselves to others. So normally, when you feel someone is looking at YOU they don't see you at all. Which is also sad, but on a different note...
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I started at 530 lbs and have mobility issues with my hip. My main form of exercise was my bicycle and swimming. Just recently I started doing DDP Yoga which i dint think i would get into, but its DDP so it was worth a shot.

DDP Yoga's an excellent program, at least from a workout perspective. I rolled my eyes at the meal plan and ignored that part afterward. I was recovering from a broken ankle at the time, and it did wonders for that.
  • tiggernic
    tiggernic Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm 252lb and went to my first Zumba class in a long while, I have hip and knee problems so took it steady and I didn't feel like I was being watched as everyone was more concerned in there own moves. Going back this Sunday