Outside workouts or a gym

Options
Is anyone else nervous about doing this? I've been at this for about a month now, in my own basement though.
I have a workout DVD and I do that. But now that the nicer weather is coming I am thinking about walking outside in the mornings.

I'll be honest, I'm scared as *kitten*!!! I won't go to a gym because I don't have the confidence to yet (that and my schedule does not allow it at the moment anyways). But exercise outside gives me the same fear.

Does anyone else feel this way? Did you overcome it??

Replies

• mhamlin
    mhamlin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I went through that as well. I was my own worst enemy. What got me to overcome my fear was looking in the mirror. Every time I would look at myself I would say "I want to look better. I want to feel better. I'm tired of being over weight and I want to fit in my skinny jean"

It worked. My need to be healthy out weighed everything else.

The hardest part is walking out the door. That's half the battle. Once you make it that far it gets easier.

Hang in there & have faith in yourself. Don't let your fears keep you from getting to your goal.

Maggie
  • slecouffe
    slecouffe Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been on and off the workout track for several years, going to the gym is intimidating at times, especially if you don't "feel ready". I say just do it, that's what I've always done, you are there for yourself, to help yourself meet a goal. I had a fear of running outdoors, not sure why, maybe it's because I didn't have a planned route, or was new to the area...but I just decided to go for a run one day and did, it was great!

Good luck!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I had no fear of the gym. There's people of every shape and size and age and fitness level there. And we all have one thing in common: the desire to be healthier.

The fear I had of exercising outdoors was making a wrong step while running and having to crawl home. So I carry my cell phone. The first few times, I only jogged in the park by my house, doing laps, but I've since grown brave enough to travel as much as four miles from home on foot. I'm probably going to have to cancel my gym membership. I never get there anymore.

Experience breeds success, and success breeds confidence, and confidence kills fear. No matter what your fear is, you can and will conquer it.
  • babs23
    babs23 Posts: 86
    Options
    I felt the same way, but you know what I decided? It's my body and MY health and to H*E*L*L with what everyone else thinks. So I pulled on my workout clothes and hit the pavement.

If someone wants to drive/pass by and silently judge me for the way I look, then they are shallow idiots. I've decided that the intelligent onlookers (the people worth my time and attention) will commend me for making the decision to get healthy. I think, in my mind, that I have their support and they are silently cheering me on.

I've been doing this for about a month and a half now and I don't have anxiety anymore.

Now I've come to the point where I have to look at a gym. I live in Southern Nevada and the temperature is rising rapidly. Soon, it will be 90 by 8am and unsuitable for outdoor exercise. So, the anxiety is creeping back in. What do I do? Do I let my fear of what other people think of me stop my progress (I lost 20lbs)? Or do I suck it up and jump in?

I'm jumping in, and at the same time, imagining that the onlookers are cheering me on, even if they're not. Good luck!