I'm embarrassed to excersize in front of my boyfriend

Options
I'm embarrassed to excersize in front of him, because he's in shape and I feel like I would look dumb I'm front of him.

Replies

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If he works out, too, just ask for pointers. Involve him. He may actually be really into wanting to help and be a part of it. There's no shame in that.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Suck it up, buttercup. He should support you... if he doesn't, ditch him.
  • Lady_jane_
    Lady_jane_ Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    He was a beginner at some point as well, you know. We all had to start somewhere. And of all the people in the world, he is the person you should never feel dumb around!! He will probably be happy to help.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Work out by yourself.

This
  • ashmarie1083
    ashmarie1083 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    When I do workout videos at home I don't like anyone to watch me :blush:
    For me I don't think it's because anyone in particular is in shape, it's just a personal space thing.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    kshadows wrote: »
    Suck it up, buttercup. He should support you... if he doesn't, ditch him.

This! When he supports you, and sees your progress.... sees your hard work he will totally admire it.
    I was really embarrassed workout with my sons dad, but when we went together and he saw me coming out of the ladies workout room dripping in sweat he was like "DAMN! I'm going to have to start doing your routine..."
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I used to hate working out in front of anyone. Then one day, my youngest sibling brought her best friend over and I was like "f**k I can't do this with this kid around" and my sister said "um, I've seen you work out all the time, she'll probably just be impressed, and we're busy doing homework anyway"

And that was that. More than likely, he'll be impressed with your effort, eventually, your form, and ultimately your badassness.
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I was embarrassed to exercise in front of my husband as well. But once I did, he actually expressed how proud he was of me and how much he could tell that I was really working for it.
  • rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I used to be really uncomfortable if someone saw me working out. If it makes you uncomfortable then do it in private until you feel good about doing it infront of him. :)
  • RebeccaD22
    RebeccaD22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I felt that way at first too, but if he cares for you at all, he will support and love you no matter what.

Also, don't worry about him! Do this for you! Maybe one day, HE'LL be the worried one ;)
  • fulltimelife
    fulltimelife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Do what you need to do regardless of who may be watching. This is about you, for you. But if it is that big of a deal for you, then time your workouts away from him. If he is interested in working out with you, and being helpful, then maybe try something you are comfortable with. Otherwise, it is ok to want to work out alone. There is more to it than just moving the body, it is also the psychological aspect to it, and some of us want the peace of doing our own thing without an audience.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Then don't. Was this a trick question?
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I was super shy about it when I started lifting, but hubby loves to watch me deadlift lol. I'm sure he will either think it's super hot or just be proud you're making an effort :)
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    You shouldnt workout in front of him if it is going to hinder you. Is there other things you can do togther like walking, biking etc? Is it your insecurities or is he unsupportive?He might be a great supporter and surprise you but beware that sometimes a partner can sabotage your new lifestyle because they dont want you to change .
  • jenmarie72011
    jenmarie72011 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When I do workout videos at home I don't like anyone to watch me :blush:
    For me I don't think it's because anyone in particular is in shape, it's just a personal space thing.

I think that's more it too, and I feel like I'll look silly.
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    One evening I was bopping along to Zumba in my living room and my boyfriend walked in and sat down to watch my flabby arms fly everywhere and I honestly thought I was going to die of embarrassment, but nope! He gave me some really good tips. He used to lift, kickbox, work on the family farm and play hurling, rugby and football, so I know I'm getting good advice from someone who knows his stuff. Plus, he was really happy seeing me work out anyway! I'd rather still work out on my own, because of personal space.

Don't be embarrassed or feel dumb! If anything, he should be proud of you and supporting you.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Boooo workout partners! Go solo.
  • stephanietripp11
    stephanietripp11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way! He looks like a pro working out and I at the time, I could barely figure out how to start the treadmill. I eventually learned my own way and it wasn't as bad, but I highly recommend involving him.

I eventually told my boyfriend I didn't like my arm workout and asked him to show me some new workouts that target my arms. He was really excited about showing me and after seeing his excitement, I asked him to show me some extra leg workouts (I feel like this is my problem area) to up my leg workout. He did and I felt stupid at first, but he made me feel comfortable and supported me and pushed me and now we have gym dates. :)

If he reacts poorly to you wanting him involved, it's your life, but I'd question the legitimacy of the relationship. If he can't support you in wanting to do better for yourself in this simple way, how is he going to support you with major life changes? Just my two cents.