Runners Fuel

Options
Hi, I usually run in the evenings and want to start running at different times of the day to keep my routine interesting. I have tried to run first thing in the morning but didn't have the energy.

What is the best way to fuel your body for a run early morning?

Thanks

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Sorry. I pop out of bed like the energizer bunny. I slump (literally slump in my easy chair) in the evening. I was going to say gummy bears, because that is all the energy you need, and that's on a marathon run.

You could try starting your day with a coffee, or a large glass of water. I find I need the water to be properly hydrated. I might eat before or after my run.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I make sure I have a good sized dinner or a bedtime snack, and that tends to help. I think though at least part of it was mental for me - I had to get used to running first thing. Sometimes I have a cup of juice before I go.
  • grumpyfitness
    grumpyfitness Posts: 15 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Eat a slice of peanut butter toast 1 hour prior to running. and coffee of course!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Depending on the length of your run, you don't need to do anything to fuel it beforehand. Your body stores enough glycogen (what it uses for energy) for about 90 minutes of running. If you're feeling sluggish in the morning it has little to do with having food in your system or not. It may be an issue of hydration, though. I usually drink a 16 ounce glass of water before bed every night especially the nights I know I'll be running at dawn (the only time it's actually cool enough to run this time of year!)

So, to make sure you have energy for a morning run I'd recommend getting adequate nutrition and hydration the day before and a good night's rest.
  • littlelionheart7
    littlelionheart7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Good meal the night before, good nights sleep and plenty of water (I don't drink coffee) and I should be able to run when the birds are getting up
  • dkjaer
    dkjaer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    PB & J on toast is the only thing I have found that doesn't give me a side ache after a few miles. I also have a little coffee. I ran a marathon two weeks ago and had four slices about one hour before the start. This morning I ran 12 miles before work and had one slice 15 minutes beforehand. I also never eat during the run unless it's a race and I rarely get hungry.
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I agree with the water. I try to have a big glass before my morning runs, it does help.
  • LuanaBean
    LuanaBean Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I eat peanut butter on toast before a run. I have to watch my blood sugar so eating a complex carb helps with slow release of insulin during my run.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Some people are night owls and some people are early birds. I am a night owl and the only time I was a morning runner was when I worked nights.
  • dbienz
    dbienz Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I tend to be a fasting runner. I found that I can't eat anywhere between 2-3 hours before a long-ish (anything over 3 miles) run. I love running in the morning but for me its all mental. I hate mornings. My bed is so comfy and warm and I just want to stay curled up for as long as possible. Once I'm out and on the road I feel energized about my run.

Things that helped me with the 5:30 am wake up time to run - Sleeping in my running clothes, big glass of water before bed and before heading out, running on the trail by my house (no driving necessary, no time to get comfortable sitting in my car), eating dinner later in the evening (gym at 7:30, dinner between 9 and 9:30), and having my boyfriend run with me to hold me accountable.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If you are a low-carber you might be low on glycogen and then might find some issues running first thing in the morning when fasted. Otherwise though it's pure mental. Your energy will be sourced from your glycogen stores before your body really starts tapping your blood sugar, and even then it can get a limited amount per hour, less than needed to keep running. This is where your muscles use fat for energy (but you run slower) and any sugars from your blood and those produced from your liver will be used by your brain primarily, not by your muscles. It can be a mental slugfest to run in such a state.

Just about a year ago I was fully convinced that late afternoon was my best running time. For about the last 9 months though I clearly do better in the morning when I am fully charged. Any other time in the day is after I started wearing down somewhat.
  • littlelionheart7
    littlelionheart7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for all the advice. I have added some of you :)
    Happy running!!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    If you are a low-carber you might be low on glycogen and then might find some issues running first thing in the morning when fasted. Otherwise though it's pure mental. Your energy will be sourced from your glycogen stores before your body really starts tapping your blood sugar, and even then it can get a limited amount per hour, less than needed to keep running. This is where your muscles use fat for energy (but you run slower) and any sugars from your blood and those produced from your liver will be used by your brain primarily, not by your muscles. It can be a mental slugfest to run in such a state.

Just about a year ago I was fully convinced that late afternoon was my best running time. For about the last 9 months though I clearly do better in the morning when I am fully charged. Any other time in the day is after I started wearing down somewhat.

The bold is a good point. Low-carb and endurance sports really don't mix well. (Yes I know there are going to be all sorts of people saying otherwise) but really you fuel endurance (running) with carbs.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Eat a slice of peanut butter toast 1 hour prior to running. and coffee of course!

If you do coffee pre-run make sure you, uhh, empty out before going. ;)
    43482326 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi, I usually run in the evenings and want to start running at different times of the day to keep my routine interesting. I have tried to run first thing in the morning but didn't have the energy.

What is the best way to fuel your body for a run early morning?

Thanks
    Wake up a half an hour or hour earlier so you can have a morning snack like an apple or banana or small smoothie. Drink some tea or coffee. Drink some lemon water it gives me energy like no other. Maybe just do some light stretches before you go to get your body ready and just do it.
  • dbienz
    dbienz Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

If you do coffee pre-run make sure you, uhh, empty out before going. ;)

I almost said the same thing in my post haha. That is one of the main reasons I DON'T drink coffee anywhere near 2-3 hours before running...
  • Lisab7982
    Lisab7982 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I personally run on an empty stomach right when I wake. I don't like the "slushy" feeling when I run.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Empty stomach before running for me too, although I do drink about half a glass of water 10 minutes before I start running. Just like your mom used to say about swimming: No food at least an hour before.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of coffee to make me poop and then a piece of toast with peanut butter if my run is longer than a 5k. But I always have coffee to go, so i don't have to go while i'm running...because...that sucks.
  • berescga
    berescga Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I run early morning - around 5:30 am. I always have a big glass of water before I run. If I'm going 4 miles or more I'll also have some apple juice or some graham crackers or a honey stinger waffle. Simple carbs. Before I do an early morning lift session I have half a can of coke for the caffeine.