I need advice.. **please help**

Options
About a week ago I had surgery. I got my gallbladder taken out. I since then been having breathing problems. How ever a week and a day I thought I was ready to go back to the gym. I started to experience pain in my stomach and chest.. which leads me to my question... did I return to the gym to early. Being here and not doing what I use to makes me feel like a total failure. I have a goal and I feel like I'm never gonna make it. Please tell me what are something I can try to help with weight loss that will not hurt me in the long run.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Yes. You did return to the gym too early. You should have asked your doctor when it'd be a good time to return.

It's better to rest and be totally recovered, than go to the gym post surgery and potentially cause some damage, no?

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Help with weight loss? Eat less, period.

You needs several weeks of recovery after removing an organ. You went too early, and should have consulted your doctor first. It would likely be a good idea to visit the doc again just to make sure you didn't do any damage to yourself.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't you be talking to your doctor(s) about this? You just had major surgery... give your body time to heal.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Wait, what?

You had surgery one week ago, you were having trouble breathing, and you thought it was the right time to go to the gym?

Your thinking is all kinds of wrong. You should be asking your doctor things like this and not jeopardizing your health and recovery based on a self-imposed, imaginary set of fail/succeed expectations.

Stick to the recovery plan your doctor recommends (and for crying out loud, listen to what your body is trying to tell you before you hurt yourself).

You should make an appointment with you doc, tell he/she the incredibly silly thing you did, and have them check you out to make sure that you haven't damaged your body.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Did your doctors clear you to go back to the gym? Usually they have lifting restrictions for up to 4 weeks.
  • enriquemurillo11
    enriquemurillo11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You guys are being rough
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    You guys are being rough

How are we being rough?

OP could potentially hospitalise herself from returning FAR TOO EARLY to exercise after having her gall bladder removed.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Ok, please go see your doctor. This doesn't sound good at all.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You guys are being rough

OP just had major surgery. If she is experiencing ANY kind of issue after it, she needs to discuss it with her doctor, not some random strangers on the internet. And us forum users are not being rough by pointing that out. It's called honesty.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You guys are being rough

Oh I'm sorry. Did you want us to tell her that everything is fine and she probably didn't do any damage and she should just keep going to the gym and work through the pain?

She just had surgery. I'm sorry, but when you act in such as way as to seriously endanger your health you don't get a hug and an ice cream cone. You get actual, real advice that hopefully encourages smarter decisions.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Op please talk to your doctor. Rest and recovery are very important.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Shouldn't you be talking to your doctor(s) about this? You just had major surgery... give your body time to heal.

What she said. Seriously. I've had my gallbladder out, and at 1 week post-op I was still having to maneuver myself awkwardly to get out of my bed. I'm not a wimp when it comes to healing either. With my last major surgery I was ahead of where my nurses expected me to be every step of the way, and I was not 100% until damn near 8 weeks after surgery despite my surgeon saying 5 weeks to 100%.

Your doctor would likely tell you no way in hell should you be going back to the gym unless it's to walk SLOWLY on the treadmill. I am not a medical professional though, so you need to call yours and find out the set limitations you need to adhere to.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    If you end up with a hernia due to overexertion after your surgery, you will have to have another surgery and be even further from your goals.

Please, call your doctor.

In the meantime, be more careful. Your body needs to heal.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    About a week ago I had surgery. I got my gallbladder taken out. I since then been having breathing problems. How ever a week and a day I thought I was ready to go back to the gym. I started to experience pain in my stomach and chest.. which leads me to my question... did I return to the gym to early. Being here and not doing what I use to makes me feel like a total failure. I have a goal and I feel like I'm never gonna make it. Please tell me what are something I can try to help with weight loss that will not hurt me in the long run.

Welcome to MFP. Depending on how bad your pain is, you either need to call the doc right away (yes, even if they're closed), or get to the ER right away. Either way, the gym is not the place for you right now.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    You guys are being rough

No, no one has been "rough". Concerned? Yes. Some people need to hear the hard truth.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    You guys are being rough

I think you're confusing sensible, logical, and honest with rough ... they are quite different.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

^^^Agreed.