Strength training + Cardio = how to maximize results??

Options
dmrm
dmrm Posts: 10 Member
I am currently working out 5-6 times per week. I am looking for recommendations on how to maximize my workout for the best results. I have 10lbs to lose and need to tone.

I am alternating my workouts right now doing YouTube videos for my strength training at home, Fitness Blender - arms, chest, back, butt, thigh, and abs and on my cardio days taking part in a kickboxing class.

Do I continue this (strength and kickboxing) or pick things up in a gym with the strength training and perhaps add in some spinning classes.

Another alternative is to join Orange Theory Fitness???

Please help guide me so I can get maximum results. Thanks.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Maximum results for what? Weight loss? Strength? Cardiovascular fitness? Endurance?

• dmrm
    Options
    To get into better shape. Lose inches and weight. What is the best way to spend my time exercising daily to achieve these results?
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    dmrm wrote: »
    To get into better shape. Lose inches and weight. What is the best way to spend my time exercising daily to achieve these results?

Weight loss comes from your caloric deficit. Improvements in physical fitness come from exercise, so that's your kick boxing or your strength training.

• jb60606
    jb60606 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    in my experience, strength training too many times per week resulted in idle weight or small weight gain. Muscular, but way too bulky for my taste.
  • dmrm
    Options
    I am 35. I want to lose 10lbs and also tone and add muscle. I eat 1000-1200 calories per day regardless of my exercise. I workout 5-6 times a week alternating between strength training videos and kickboxing classes. To achieve my goal do I keep doing what I am doing from a fitness perspective or how do I tweak my hour workout each day to achieve my goals?
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    I am 35. I want to lose 10lbs and also tone and add muscle. I eat 1000-1200 calories per day regardless of my exercise. I workout 5-6 times a week alternating between strength training videos and kickboxing classes. To achieve my goal do I keep doing what I am doing from a fitness perspective or how do I tweak my hour workout each day to achieve my goals?

Anything under 1200 calories is a no go area. It's not healthy. The minimum RDA calories for a female is 1200.

You aren't going to be building muscle in a caloric deficit. That requires a caloric surplus, where you are eating more than you need to maintain.

You need a progressive overload program.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Whatever you're doing for strength training, make sure you're increasing your weights as they get easier and not just sticking with the same weights. Do whatever you enjoy and will keep you consistent.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

To achieve your goal, eat what MFP tells you to eat if you enter .5 lbs of weight loss per week. Then, when you do cardio, eat 50% of those calories back. Toning is not a thing, but you want to SAVE muscle as you lose-eating 1000 calories, you're going to just lose so much. Save muscle by lifting/resistance training, lose fat to reveal the muscle that is there.

Once you have your calories in check, use a beginners weight training or body weight program. Which would you prefer?
  • dmrm
    Options
    My calories are in check and I lose 3lbs per month it seems.
    For toning do the fitness blender YouTube videos work for building muscle or am I wasting my time and should be spending my strength training days in a gym using all the machines???

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    My calories are in check and I lose 3lbs per month it seems.
    For toning do the fitness blender YouTube videos work for building muscle or am I wasting my time and should be spending my strength training days in a gym using all the machines???

You don't build muscle in a deficit. You try to save it, with a program that allows a progressive overload. Preferably a heavy weight training program (Starting Strength, Strong Lifts 5x5, Strong Curves, New Rules of Lifting for Women) or body weight training (Convict Conditioning, You Are Your Own Gym).

And you should aim to lose less than 3 lbs per month if you want to save muscle. And eat an appropriate amount of protein.