Replies

• danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Your bike computer may not be reading correctly. Try a gym with other machines. Perhaps a treadmill, and walk uphill. All nutritional information, and burn rates are approximations. But they work most of the time.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    People please understand....this is the special snow flock...hold your advice. Nothing helps

Lets lock him up and study him...before the media gets him. We can get rich..we found him!!!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary.

Also, you weigh your banana skin on?

^^is it just me or does that sound like a euphemism lol.

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    OP, a couple of things to consider.

As others have said, mostly through ridicule, you're probably not 100% on your logging. There is no problem with that, but as an uncontrolled variable it is almost certain to have an impact.

The other thing to consider, and I have found this through riding long distances (50km+) is how remarkable human body is in becoming more efficient in any given exercise over time. While your Garmin might give you a calorie expenditure reading of 1000 cals for a ride, it may be up to 50% off (even when using a power meter).

How you ask? Well, as I mentioned, the body gets more efficient over time and you can do the same exercise and burn a lot less energy - this is definitely true for endurance exercise!

The other factor is your BMR. It doesn't look like you have subtracted your BMR from your exercise totals. eg you have a three hour ride and the Garmin says you burn 1500 cals in that time. Even discarding the added efficiency of your body, you have to subtract around 300 cals for your BMR (the amount you would have still burned when just sitting at home).
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    So the OP is looking for help, gets solid advice (e.g. Weighing all solid food on a kitchen scale), and argues against it instead of trying it? Solid logic!

OP, the advice you're getting are from people who have been successful and know their stuff. Pay attention and be a little open minded. I eat fiber one bars every now and then. The package says a serving is 23g, but when I weigh it, it's 28! Little differences like this really do add up fast.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    OP:

As others have pointed out...you have a metabolism. It may not be as fast as the average person, but you still have it.

Now, realize that what online calculators give you about your bmr is just a guestimate. It could be lower or higher.

Are you JUST cycling? Or are you doing other training? If so, what and are you using an HRM to figure out the burns for that? (Asking because if it is for anything other than steady state cardio, you are probably recording exaggerated burns).

And you keep bringing us fruit and nutribars. are these the ONLY things you are consuming? Could you make your diary public so we can see if that's the case and how consistent you are with recording things?

You say you are using Garmin, but then you bring up the burn given to you on the bike. So are you relying on a stationary bike computer to give you your calories burned and not Garmin? I honestly think you've made it harder, confusing, and probably incorrect by trying to associate "wattage" burned with the calories put out.