leg pain and tightness

Options
So I have this issue. If I run early in the day this always happens. No matter if I stretch or don't stretch. Even when doing 1/2 marathons since those are early in the day. My shins and/or my calves will get tight within minutes of running and hurt real bad. To the point where I just have to walk and even that's uncomfortable. Now if I run later in the day then I'm fine but sometimes I work too late to run after so I need to in the mornings. It's really frustrating. Anyone else have this?

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Maybe a hydration issue?
  • jacqueline7599
    jacqueline7599 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I drink water like crazy
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    More potassium? I've never had this specific issue, but when I started eating more potatoes and bananas, my cramping problem went away.
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Good shoes?
    Also when I use to play sports we are banana with salt... I know sounds horrible but good for electrolyte replacement... Help prevent cramps
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Shoe issue gets my vote. Can you go to a running store like Road Runner and get fitted?

2nd issue might be electrolytes--for my extended workouts, I personally like Isopure protein powder. Has sodium, potassium, etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Tightness can happen due to actual lack of conditioning. How often do you run?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Tightness can happen due to actual lack of conditioning. How often do you run?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • losingitseattle
    losingitseattle Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Try rolling out the soles of your feet with a spiky ball or roller? It could be anterior or posterior tibial tendonitis (shin and calf areas) and those tendons insert in the foot area and so rolling the foot might help? Go easy and gentle at first. Or you can foam roll shins or calves.

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2015/02/27/5-foam-rolling-mistakes.aspx

I had what I thought was shin splints from running and it was my anterior tibialis that was inflamed. I teach a lot of fitness classes and after weeks of severe pain and me feeling like I had tried everything, one of the trainers suggested I roll my foot with a spiky ball. Pain was 100% gone in two days. I do also have chronic tightness in my posterior tibial region and that's problematic too. I do a lot of self massage and that helps.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00166

Love running but after years of half marathoning and getting older, I can do a three or four mile spin here and there but unfortunately the distance days are behind me :(