Supplements/Shakes/Protein?

Options
Hello everyone!
I'm interested in trying some new products for meal replacement, protein and shakes. I currently take a GNC vitapak but I can't stand the taste of their protein powder and want to try something new. Just curious if there is even a tasty protein shake out there? Any advice on finding these products or what I should use for weight loss/better eating would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    lnmiller4 wrote: »
    Hello everyone!
    I'm interested in trying some new products for meal replacement, protein and shakes. I currently take a GNC vitapak but I can't stand the taste of their protein powder and want to try something new. Just curious if there is even a tasty protein shake out there? Any advice on finding these products or what I should use for weight loss/better eating would be greatly appreciated!

Supplements aren't going to make your weight loss any better.

I've found that protein shakes generally don't taste all that nice, they taste OK.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I LOVE how trutein tastes, and sometimes when I'm craving something sweet, I'll turn to that. But others hate how it tastes, so I recommend looking around at different recommendations (bodybuilding.com has taste ratings for all the protein powders they sell, and you can use the search function here as there are lots of threads on types of protein powders), and then try samples of things that sound good.

Speaking from experience, it's not worth it to invest in 2-5lbs of powder before you know if you like the flavor or not. But as mentioned, they won't help you lose weight, that's what a calorie deficit is for.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Trutein tastes good, but the problem is that it's too sweet. I have the Lemon Cream Pie, which is awesome, but a level scoop of this is cloying sweet even in 16 oz. water or milk.

OP, check out PES Select. The Snickerdoodle flavor is my favorite. Other good companies that offer great tasting protein powders for a decent price are Giant Sports, iForce, Bio-X, BPI Sports, and Xtreme Formulations.
    Any advice on finding these products or what I should use for weight loss/better eating would be greatly appreciated!

Being in a caloric deficit relative to your physiology and average activity level is what makes you lose weight. Protein powder is not a magical weight loss supplement. It is simply a food supplement with calories like any food. In fact, protein powder is categorized as a processed fast food. You shouldn't have to rely on it on a daily basis to hit your protein macro, although it does help in terms of intermittent convenience.
  • Ana1054
    Ana1054 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb Pina Colada in coconut milk - very tasty. Vanilla is good too. Chocolate is meh.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Trutein tastes good, but the problem is that it's too sweet. I have the Lemon Cream Pie, which is awesome, but a level scoop of this is cloying sweet even in 16 oz. water or milk.

OP, check out PES Select. The Snickerdoodle flavor is my favorite. Other good companies that offer great tasting protein powders for a decent price are Giant Sports, iForce, Bio-X, BPI Sports, and Xtreme Formulations.
    Any advice on finding these products or what I should use for weight loss/better eating would be greatly appreciated!

Being in a caloric deficit relative to your physiology and average activity level is what makes you lose weight. Protein powder is not a magical weight loss supplement. It is simply a food supplement with calories like any food. In fact, protein powder is categorized as a processed fast food. You shouldn't have to rely on it on a daily basis to hit your protein macro, although it does help in terms of intermittent convenience.
    I'm annoyed at you for continuing to post about snickerdoodle protein powder right after I ordered a whole bunch of trutein. I need to pick up a sample and keep it in mind for my next order. I love cinnamon...
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I'm annoyed at you for continuing to post about snickerdoodle protein powder right after I ordered a whole bunch of trutein. I need to pick up a sample and keep it in mind for my next order. I love cinnamon...

Haha, I've literally tried 30+ different brands. PES Select is in the top 3 in terms of taste and texture.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Dymatize girl here! currently on a Birthday Cake kick but all their flavors are great IMHO. I do a lot of cooking with protein powder and love their Elite XT line (mix of whey, casein, egg & soy proteins) in place of anything that calls for a whey protein which has a tendency to leave the food rubbery and no one want rubbery protein brownies lol
  • AndyP2018
    AndyP2018 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am having USN Diet Fuel strawberry flavour, find it a good product and tastes good,
  • IreneM99
    IreneM99 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Vega! All their products are great
  • inspiredlives
    inspiredlives Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Arbonne shakes are vegan and taste the BEST! No bloating, and tastes great just with water or made as a smoothie. if you would to try samples let me know I can send them to you
  • gemair
    gemair Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    IMHO The herbalife shakes have been my favourite and I find adding the extra Personalised Protein Powder (PPP) that I don't get hungry for ages and have to remind myself to have a snack in between. They are about cellular nutrition and I find that I have been able to keep my weight lower (without getting sick) and have started to (finally) build my muscles. I took a slow approach to it but have really enjoyed my progress, the taste and the support I have had. Happy to provide more info or you can go on their website as well. :)

Good luck it seems to take ages to find one that you can be happy with (I tried lots and I always felt hungry or lethargic).
  • clairepfitness14
    clairepfitness14 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've tried a lot of different proteins and such and I think cellucor is definitely the best so far
  • erianswilliams
    erianswilliams Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I made a protein shake that I use for post-workout or breakfast!

Ingredients:
    • 1 scoop of whey protein (I use the CVS brand & I switch flavors. The chocolate & vanilla are my favorite.
    •1 Banana
    •1 cup fresh spinach
    •Other fruits (I but the frozen organic berry medley, I get it at Kroger)
    • 1 1/2 cups of Almond Milk.

It's delicious. A little high in sugar but it's natural sugar from the fruit.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I will have to look into Truetin. Snickerdoodle protein powder sounds amazing.
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Ana1054 wrote: »
    Jay Robb Pina Colada in coconut milk - very tasty. Vanilla is good too. Chocolate is meh.

This. Jay Robb is definitely better tasting than a lot of others. Another option is to find a bland protein and put it in a smoothie with fruit or other more flavorful foods.
  • Kslife74
    Kslife74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

• vegaspfmf
    vegaspfmf Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    ON double chocolate whey is good