Calorie count

Options
My daily calorie goal is set at 3,010... I'm currently 6'2" and 310 lbs. Starting weight was 325 and goal is 255... anybody know how MFP comes up with the calorie goal? I feel as if 3,010 is a little high...

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Please see this article, and many other helpful articles, on the MFP Help pages...
    https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/410332-how-does-myfitnesspal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
  • vegaspfmf
    vegaspfmf Posts: 40 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Figure out your total daily energy expenditure (tdee) subtract 20% to check the mfp number a website like iifym.com has a calculator to use. That number does sound high.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    The best way to figure out what is right of you is by trial and error. Everyone's metabolism is unique to them. What I do and what I recommend to people is to eat at a calorie level that allows you to make good progress towards your goal. If you are trying to lose weight, eat so you drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. This will be different for everyone, so you'll have to do some trial and error to figure it out. I'd start ~2600 cal/day. Hit this goal, along with your macros and getting in your workouts, for 2 weeks. If you lose 1-2 lbs/week, you're good to go. If you lose too much, increase your intake and repeat. If you don't lose enough, reduce your intake a bit and repeat. After a few cycles, you'll figure out what works for you in your situation.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ Calculating with your stats and exercising five times a week: BMR 2541, TDEE 3716. It sounds very realistic due to your size. Make sure you log everything accurately and then see where your progress is in a month.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I agree, that sounds high. But it is about what your TDEE is without exercise. To lose weight at two pounds per week, you would need your goal set to 2010 calories per day.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ Calculating with your stats and exercising five times a week: BMR 2541, TDEE 3716. It sounds very realistic due to your size. Make sure you log everything accurately and then see where your progress is in a month.

Agree.

For comparison's sake - I ran it with no exercise, and it shows a TDEE of closer to 3,000. So you may need to adjust depending on how much exercise you're really getting.

Like the others have said...try it out for a month, and if your results aren't matching your expectations, adjust accordingly.
  • CUGolfer1994
    CUGolfer1994 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've logged everything that I've put into my body for the last two weeks or so, and I have lost some weight. This week especially I've been very active. It's almost difficult to get to 3,010 calories/day which is the main reason why I asked. I'll check back in a couple of weeks and see where I'm at with this
  • CUGolfer1994
    CUGolfer1994 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I went and calculated my TDEE with all of my information. My TDEE was at 3422 and my BMR was 2489... based on those numbers, do you think 3,010 calories in the right amount? I find myself between 2,000-2,500 most days
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I went and calculated my TDEE with all of my information. My TDEE was at 3422 and my BMR was 2489... based on those numbers, do you think 3,010 calories in the right amount? I find myself between 2,000-2,500 most days

Based on your stats, 2000-2500 is fine.