Anxious about Working Out

Options
I'm full of excuses and reasons not to workout. I feel "unsafe" walking alone in my neighborhood. I hate walking on treadmills (makes me a little dizzy). I'm afraid to cycle and get hit by a car or have a flat tire and get stuck... I'm so full of fear and aversion. I don't want to workout in my apartment and annoy my neighbors... Why can't I commit or be disciplined? I went 5 years without dairy and gluten. I can be disciplined but not with moving my body. Help! Insight? Advice? You know... Part of me is afraid to lose weight and gain attention from people. Catcalling (which still happens now) makes me sick to my stomach and I feel unsafe when it happens. Does anyone relate? Are you also holding yourself back?

Replies

• jjnorberg
    jjnorberg Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's like I want an excuse to feel bad about myself and I want to be able to scapegoat my bad self esteem towards my body.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Have you considered talking this over with a therapist? They might be able to get to the root of the problem and help you get past it, rather than just dealing with the symptoms.
  • jjnorberg
    Options
    I think that's a great idea. I'll bring it up soon. Are there others who relate to my feelings?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    there are a lot people here who have anxiety and obsessive thoughts

one thing to start doing is start thinking positive which is easier said than done. don't say "I can't". also start small, like a walk around the block with your phone -just in case, or pepper spray. then two blocks

don't worry about the neighbors, or you can try some workouts that aren't pounding on the floor. I find yoga does not make lots of loud noises and pilates. I'm sure there are others. maybe something with an exercise ball

also talk to a dr and possibly a therapist
  • waybetter2
    waybetter2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Do you know anyone who can exercise with you? You know, keep you company, help motivate you, make you feel safe? You can try walking/running on an indoor track- at a Y or community center or a gym.
    Maybe a class would be a good way to get started- once you sign up and shell out some of your hard-earned bucks, it's hard to stay home. And start with something that might be particularly supportive of getting in touch with your physical self- like a beginning yoga class or tai-chi.
    You sound like a very sensitive, considerate person but I think you think you're more vulnerable and bothersome than you really are. Keep working to get started and then hang in there.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Try fitness classes...And can you cycle at the gym? Or try finding a gym that has a track on it. Or get a workout buddy.

And yes, maybe talk to a therapist. Good luck!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    If you're that afraid of all those things, aren't you afraid of being unfit, unhealthy and potentially cutting your life short?

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    What about trying spinning -- http://www.yelp.com/biz/cycle-hub-san-antonio?osq=Spinning

That is just one that is in your area.
  • scottleeclements
    scottleeclements Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do the thing you fear, and the death of fear is certain.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    one thing to start doing is start thinking positive which is easier said than done. don't say "I can't". also start small, like a walk around the block with your phone -just in case, or pepper spray. then two blocks

This! Easier said than done but you have to gain some confidence then build on it, when you are walking do your best not to think about all these negative thoughts you've got.... think about the birds singing, the sound of the cars whizzing by, maybe a fountain at a park... I try to clear my mind completely when I'm exercising outside giving me physical activity and mental clarity.
  • jjnorberg
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips and advice!
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    While putting on weight for the past few years I felt like I wanted to hide. I have anxiety disorders and avoidance is a coping pattern for myself. In terms of not wanting to do anything , I felt like I wanted to eat more so I became more invisible. But, I actually felt more out of the ordinary by being heavy and was tired of feeling so depressed and anxious. Now I feel not so depressed, more in control but I still have anxiety. I don't walk anywhere really by myself, I don't leave the house much, not very social, workout with blinds closed, don't even go grocery shopping much etc. These generalized anxiety feelings have been present since I was a kid. I am on medication for it which does absolutely help me function better but I'm working through the feelings I have around when I was trying not to care about myself, and the reasons for changing my behaviours now. I'm realizing that the exercise for myself is helping anxiety, although I'm still majorly avoidant. I feel a bit more confident, I guess.

So, get the overly anxious "terms" on everything. It's very difficult to navigate as some of it is in your control, and some is not (IMO).

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Go to a shrink. STOP with the excuses.
  • jjnorberg
    Options
    I completely identify with your words here. I appreciate your honesty. I am trying to remind myself how much exercise helps even though I want avoid it.
    bbontheb wrote: »
    I'm realizing that the exercise for myself is helping anxiety, although I'm still majorly avoidant. I feel a bit more confident, I guess.

So, get the overly anxious "terms" on everything. It's very difficult to navigate as some of it is in your control, and some is not (IMO).

• jjnorberg
    Options
    I agree. I can always find time and if I want to avoid certain things I can. But exercise it's self should not be avoided.

Plus, who really looks great running? https://icraved.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/mentalnote.jpg
    joerog44 wrote: »
    Same boat, maybe try going for runs early in the morning/late at night when nobody is really out and about? I'm a bit embarrassed to be seen running currently (it's not a pretty sight lol), so this works out wonderfully for me.
  • jjnorberg
    Options
    I do. I am looking for support outside of the medical field.

Thank you for time. I can tell you're more of the tough love type.
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Go to a shrink. STOP with the excuses.

• jjnorberg
    Options
    I love this! I thought all about the birds singing and it really did help.

[/quote]
    chelsy0587 wrote: »
    moyer566 wrote: »

This! Easier said than done but you have to gain some confidence then build on it, when you are walking do your best not to think about all these negative thoughts you've got.... think about the birds singing, the sound of the cars whizzing by, maybe a fountain at a park... I try to clear my mind completely when I'm exercising outside giving me physical activity and mental clarity.

• jjnorberg
    Options
    I love this idea! Thank you!
    kjm3579 wrote: »
    What about trying spinning -- http://www.yelp.com/biz/cycle-hub-san-antonio?osq=Spinning

That is just one that is in your area.

• jjnorberg
    Options
    Yes, I am. That's probably why I'm desperately seeking to change my body movement habits (or my lack of consistency with exercise).
    If you're that afraid of all those things, aren't you afraid of being unfit, unhealthy and potentially cutting your life short?
  • jjnorberg
    Options
    All great words of advice and a good reminder to be solution oriented. I appreciate your kind words. I could be and am going to be more assertive about my own need to make noise.

waybetter2 wrote: »
    Do you know anyone who can exercise with you? You know, keep you company, help motivate you, make you feel safe? You can try walking/running on an indoor track- at a Y or community center or a gym.
    Maybe a class would be a good way to get started- once you sign up and shell out some of your hard-earned bucks, it's hard to stay home. And start with something that might be particularly supportive of getting in touch with your physical self- like a beginning yoga class or tai-chi.
    You sound like a very sensitive, considerate person but I think you think you're more vulnerable and bothersome than you really are. Keep working to get started and then hang in there.