Long run question

Options
Forensi
Forensi Posts: 56 Member
So I have a dilemma and am curious to hear peoples opinions or get some advice.

I'm 2 weeks out from the Gold Coast Half Marathon (my first half) and this weekend I need to run 19km before doing a 2 week taper. Problem is, I fly out to another city at 8am so I need to get to the airport by 7am which is normally the ideal time on a Saturday morning to train.

Question is, is it a better idea to get up at 4:30am Saturday before my flight and do my run or do it on the Friday afternoon/night or even Friday morning (note that I've run the last 3 consecutive days). My normal schedule is Tue, Wed, Thur - 8km, Sat Long run (usually between 10km and 18km).

What do other people do in these situations? Appreciate peoples thoughts.

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I would probably do it Friday night, so I'm not worried about something happening and me missing my flight, or Saturday after I landed (the best way to adjust to a new place is to go for a run).

I don't think it will make much difference either way, from a physiological perspective, but I would be stressed running on a tight schedule before a flight. If it were just 10k or something, that would be fine, but a long run would raise my anxiety.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you get the miles in, you'll be A-OK.

You're used to sitting out the day before your long run? In that case, *I* would run Tues-Wed, take off Thurs, long run Fri, get up definitely NOT at 4:30 but a little early and bust out a few km on Saturday to blow off pre-trip stress.

That's assuming the race is on a Saturday. If the race is on a Sunday, it might be a prime time to switch your longest run to Sunday instead, since ideally your longest run is 14-21 days out from the race, probably closer to 14 for a half.

Good luck in your race! I have a friend running Gold Coast this year for the third or fourth time; she loves it. You'll do awesome!
  • sarabrunning
    sarabrunning Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it too much - switch days to a day that works better for you within a few days before and after and just do s short run the day of your flight. It won't effect the outcome as long as you get your weeks mileage in. Best of luck!
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    My training is always fluid. Days frequently get swapped. Training plans are by very nature generic so in my opinion they are not dialled in for anyone so I use them as a guide. I'd probably lose one of your shorter runs and replace it with the long one. The long one is more important that way you don't lose it and are not overly stressed busy before your flight. Losing one shorter run is neither hear nor there in the scheme of things.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Friday night or Sunday morning. You don't want to be all sweaty on the plane.
  • jopapgh
    jopapgh Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Is Sunday an option? I would try to keep at the same time as the upcoming race to simulate race conditions as much as possible.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Like another said, my training schedule is fluid. And as another said the choice of day physiologically won't matter. I'd just pick the day and time that is the least stressful on you.

Running in a new city can be fun especially if there is a particularly nice space to run near where you are staying, or can be frustrating or boring if you can't get the lay of the land and/or are stuck in some hotel located in a business park area.
  • WRENxxx
    WRENxxx Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If Sunday is an option, I'd run then. I've always felt best running at the same time every day I run. Maybe it's all in my head but it's always worked best for me that way. Also, as others have said, it will probably be nice running in a new city. With all the scenery being fresh, your run will probably go easier.

Good luck on your half!