Need Help For Potluck

Options
I have a potluck at work tomorrow. I've been making nice progress and don't want to derail. But I'm not sure how to manage seeing all of these tempting dishes that I'll want to taste that are loaded with cheese, mayonnaise etc. I do give myself some room to indulge, but would rather stick to my plan tomorrow.

I intend to drink a lot of water, and thinking I might do best if I simply show up, socialize, but it my own plan based diet for lunch discretely before I arrive. Or perhaps even eat my plan based lunch at the party, and if asked, to simply reply that I'm on a roll and want to keep it up.

What have other people done that has worked for them? Thanks for any suggestions.

Replies

• jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Usually someone at a potluck will bring a veggie/dip tray, or chips & salsa. The chips aren't great but salsa is pretty low cal... and you know you can load up your plate with lots of veggies. :)
  • runninglynnie
    Options
    This is a tough one as its tough to have will power on an empty stomach so I have brought a healthy lunch and eaten it at my desk prior to a potluck. When I arrive I am full already and less tempted and then I just snack on some raw veggies.
  • kaypee65
    kaypee65 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You know, I bet I can be the person who brings salsa! Good suggestion on what to bring and it solves my problem of what to eat at the event. I'll bring hummus too; that'll give me healthy party food that I can enjoy.

Thanks for a better strategy.
  • Tkhk0514
    Tkhk0514 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I just stay away from it all. Unless, there is salad or veggies or fruit. I may induldge in a couple pieces of cheese but for the most part I just stick to my own lunch.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Last snack day at work I took hummus with pita chips and veggies, and a batch of tabouli. Everyone loved it and it was healthy. Fruit trays are good too.
  • spr_chkn
    spr_chkn Posts: 48
    Options
    I just stay away from it all. Unless, there is salad or veggies or fruit. I may induldge in a couple pieces of cheese but for the most part I just stick to my own lunch.

I agree! Good advice.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    As I've already been to a few bbq's, I just make sure I bring something that I know is calorie friendly. usually someone does bring a veggie or fruit tray. I lke those ppl! :)
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Here's some chili I made yesterday. Very healthy and not calorific. In fact, 1 serving is more like 2 servings... I just wanted alot :) It's also vegetarian if that floats anyones boats...

Ingredients:
    -Serious Food...Silly Prices - Organic Chunky Tomato Sauce, 1 container (3 3/10 cup (61g) ea.) - 260 cals
    -Trader Joe's - Black Beans, 1 container (1 4/5 cups ea.) - 385 cals
    -Sunflower Market - Red Kidney Beans, 1 container (1 1/2 cups ea.) - 330 cals
    -Trader Joe's Organics - Cut and Peeled Carrots, 6 oz (85g) - 70cals
    -Vegetable - White Onion, 0.4 container (10 slice (1/8th inch) ea.) - 24cals
    -Fresh - Garlic (1 Clove), 3 medium clove (4g) - 15 cals
    -Celery - Raw, 2 stalk, medium (7-1/2" - 8" long) - 11cals
    -Trader Joe's Organic - Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 0.6 tbsp - 72cals
    -Organic - Jalepeno Pepper, Fresh, 1 pepper (14g) - 4cals
    -Pepper - Serrano, raw, 1 pepper - 2cals
    -Generic - Pablano Pepper, 1 cooked/raw - 17cals
    -Spinach - Raw, 1.5 cup - 10 cals
    -Bell Peppers Red - Red Peppers, 0.5 medium - 8 cals
    -St Ives - Meatless Ground Round Original, 1/3 cup cooked - 60 cals

Total: 1268 cals
    Per Serving: 317 cals
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a great plan for the pot luck. I would stick with that. Usually, there is always a vegetable tray or maybe some fruit. or even salad. If there is something you can't resist just take a 3 bite portion. That won't do any harm.
  • kaypee65
    kaypee65 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I went, I had fun, and I did it all in just a bit over 400 calories.

WIthout a strategy for success I'd have been much more likely to make poor choices. Next time something like this comes up it'll be so much easier since I know how to manage things. Plus if you're successful once, it's that much easier to be successful again.

Dang, FranLover's chili looks great. I'm going to have to give that one a try over the weekend too.

I love My Fitness pal and I love the people here. It really helps me do the work of getting my old self back.