I'm hungry!!!!

Options
What is wrong with me?! I have a never ending appetite! I think it might be due to running, but I'm running to lose weight and get in shape! I'm trying to save enough calories for a good dinner, but I just want to cave and eat a bunch of biscuits and granola bars. Will I ever get used to this and not feel hungry all the time?? If so, how long does that take?

I've had lots of water, and I'm drinking coffee (no sugar) to try and tide me over till dinner. I guess the afternoon is just a hard time fro me. I had a bunch of biscuits and probably should have had an apple instead. Oh well. I just need to know that I'm not condemning myself to a life of hunger, am i?

Replies

• MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    What else are you eating? How often do you eat?
  • farmgirl88
    farmgirl88 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Protein. You must eat lots and lots of protein. Steak, chicken, every kind of fish, cottage cheese, eggs... For me, I can eat 1,400 calories of mainly carbs and feel starved all day or I can try to eat 1,200 calories of mainly protein and struggle to get the last 200 calories in because I feel so full. Protein is a hunger-killer. So is lots of water and filling up on lots of leafy greens.
  • Mandie1117
    Mandie1117 Posts: 15
    Options
    No, you just need to be more thoughtful with your meals. Dont go eat a bunch of biscuits for breakfast, or else you'll screw yourself for the rest of the day. Plan your meals a little better. If you HAVE to have a biscuit, have one....ONE. Then eat a sensible lunch, lots of raw veggies are always good, you can eat alot of them without using up alot of your calories, then you can have your dinner. AND your body will get use to the change. You have to imagine, your stomach is stretched out. With you not eating as much as you were before, you're going to feel a little hungry, but your stomach will strink back down, and you'll start to fee full again. Just remember, you can eat alot of low calorie, and a little of high calorie foods.
  • mizhectik
    mizhectik Posts: 24
    Options
    Hey hunn, Thats how I feel :(
  • nursekj
    nursekj Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Im starving on days i run too, just need to eat more fish and complex carbs I guess? Oh and i start the day with porridge to see me thru.
    6432523.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • fidgekitty
    fidgekitty Posts: 43
    Options
    Have you tried South Beach Diet? The first 2 weeks are all about curbing those cravings and getting on track to healthy eating. It's amazing! You're so cranky the first week because you want all the good stuff you normally eat, but by the end of it, you have zero cravings for junk food.

I've finally admitted to myself that refined carbs and sugars are very addicitng. It's like going through a 12 step problem, first you have to admit you have a problem. "Hi, my name is Rachel and I freaking love carbs. And candy... mostly chocolate..." :laugh:
  • annameeks00
    annameeks00 Posts: 46
    Options
    I eat all day long, but stuff like Carrots/cucumber/apples/oranges/tomatoes/watermelon/cantelope/grapes/ and strawberrys. You can stick to your calorie goal easily and eat all day if you choose the right fruits and veggies. :D Hope that helps!

Also things like eggs will make you feel full for hours without a huge amount of calories.
  • dd122436
    dd122436 Posts: 39
    Options
    Protein. You must eat lots and lots of protein. Steak, chicken, every kind of fish, cottage cheese, eggs... For me, I can eat 1,400 calories of mainly carbs and feel starved all day or I can try to eat 1,200 calories of mainly protein and struggle to get the last 200 calories in because I feel so full. Protein is a hunger-killer. So is lots of water and filling up on lots of leafy greens.

Thanks for this! I will try that tomorrow for sure.
  • Growe190
    Growe190 Posts: 18
    Options
    1st thing I do everyday is to log onto MFP and plan my meals and snacks. I am diabetic and I am managing it through food choices and exercises. I was over 300 lbs and a big eater. However, I seldom fell hungry anymore and when I do I already have decided what to eat. Make your choices before you get stressed, just follow the plan
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Youre starting something new o your body will need to adjust, but to stay full longer, complex carbs, whole/raw fruits and veggies, and LOTS of protein, MFPs estimate is usually low, even for those not trying to build muscle. Running is a full body workout and a great fat burner but you need to fuel your body right too. Also. If this is a super new routine, you might want to try slowly reducing your carb intake over 1-2 weeks, if you were eating 200+ cals a day and are suddenly eating 1200, youre going to be hungry for the first week typically
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    wish i could see your diary... could be a number of explanations...
  • dd122436
    dd122436 Posts: 39
    Options
    Have you tried South Beach Diet? The first 2 weeks are all about curbing those cravings and getting on track to healthy eating. It's amazing! You're so cranky the first week because you want all the good stuff you normally eat, but by the end of it, you have zero cravings for junk food.

I've finally admitted to myself that refined carbs and sugars are very addicitng. It's like going through a 12 step problem, first you have to admit you have a problem. "Hi, my name is Rachel and I freaking love carbs. And candy... mostly chocolate..." :laugh:

I did it in the past but found that it really added to the grocery bill! But I think your right, I'm definitely a carb,sugar, junk food addict. I might give the high protein another go, to at least get over the cravings, thank you.
  • superjae5
    superjae5 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I agree with the protein comment. Fish is low cal--at least more than steak or chicken, and it fills you up. If you're not typically a fish eater, tilapia, cod, and mahi mahi are all fishes I eased into seafood with cuz they don't taste as "fishy" like salmon.

I also would say string cheese as a snack, it's got 6g of protein and only 80 calories. Also, if you're dying for a snack to just fill you up, low-fat popcorn is very filling and can get you through to dinner on days you're really dying. I always keep the microwaveable in my desk drawer for tough days. Usually you can buy the 100 calorie packs--both in butter and kettle corn.

But keep going, you can do this!
  • notoriousgtt
    notoriousgtt Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I cant back this up with any evidence, but chewing gum has helped me relieve my hunger pangs.
    I'm used to sitting at my desk and having a bag of sweets or something so I wasn't used to not nibbling something. Chewing gum has solved this for me. Worth a shot. If it doesn't work at least you still have a pack of gum :)
  • fidgekitty
    Options
    Protein is awesome, If I'm not working out I can cut to 1200 calories in a day and not miss the extra calories, (1600 on a workout day). Try a protien smoothie. I do a cup of milk, half a banana, cup of frozen fruit and just a scoop of protein powder. It can be for breakfast if you want to replace a meal with it, because it can be high in calories, but it tasts awesome (almost like a milkshake... almost) and you get fiber, raw fruit and antioxidants, calcium, protien, the works!
  • fidgekitty
    Options
    Another thing I just thought of, and I know this is controversial and I'll probably get crap for it, but you might be cutting out too much fat. Fat can actually be good for you, even saturated, research is starting to turn around a bit and the health community is realizing that it's actually refined carbs ( and even too many unrefined carbs, even whole grains) that cause arterial sclerosis and all those nasty cardiovascular disorders. Also, fats make your body feel more satisfied and even help you absorb more of the vitamins and minerals from the produce you eat. I'm not saying pile on the bacon to anything, but maybe add some olive oil to your veggies or salad, try the Wholly Guacamole 100 calorie packs on some pita crisps or celery, it might help you feel more satisfied. I'd highly recommend the documentary "fat head" which you can watch on netflix or I'm sure somewhere else on the internet, it really brings up some interesting research about fats.