Energy drinks

Options
monkeefun
monkeefun Posts: 271 Member
Hey everyone! Quick question! What happens to you when you drink energy drinks? I'm kind of curious. I have a theory going here and I wanna know if anyone else feels the same way. A few weeks ago my workouts started going downhill. I lost the energy, drive and motivation to work out. I was still doing them, but my whole me wasn't as into it. I thought maybe I was just getting bored with it (which could be the case), but it's hard to get my butt up off the couch no matter what I'm doing anymore. Today, I started a workout (Turbofire Fire 45 - a disc I've done more times than I can count), and I felt clumsy, off balance, and just out of sorts. Then it hit me - a few weeks, right around the time my workouts started declining, I started drinking Red Bull again. Sugar free, of course, but Red Bull (or Rockstar or Amp, depending on where I was...) all the same. I've never really been an energy drink consumer before - I initially bought them to help me through some night shifts, but kept on buying them. Lately I've been drinking them a LOT. My "theory" if you will, is that this is causing lethargy and slump. I mean, literally, today was awful. I kept tripping over myself and stumbling on moves I've done more than I can count, moves I DO KNOW and CAN DO. I just feel TIRED. Has anyone else had this sort of issue?

Replies

• annameeks00
    annameeks00 Posts: 46
    Options
    All i know is a couple years ago I was drinking 2-3 a day and I ended up with kidney stones. The doctors said its fairly common with energy drink abusers.. lol Stopped drinking them and havnt had a problem sense.
  • jolteon00
    jolteon00 Posts: 89
    Options
    I never drink energy drinks to fuel my workouts. I drink them because, frankly, I like the way they taste (and they're loaded with B vitamins. Who knew?)
    I can't imagine drinking a diet soda before a workout and having it end well, and basically that's what you're doing. Not that I work out with any consistency. Just my 2 cents.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Worst thing on the market in my opinion. Lots of deaths due to these type of drinks. Cafeine dehydrates you so if you are drinking if after exercising or even before you are not doing your body any favors.

Many people feel the low after the increase even with the sugar free, again it is the cafeine and other stimulants in the drinks.

I would advise that you drink something else, even gatorade instead. Water is the best option but you might need to back off slowly.

Good Luck!
  • monkeefun
    monkeefun Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Side note - I never drink any to get THROUGH my workouts! I've been drinking them throughout the day just because I like them. By the time I get to my workout though I am so out of it. Not good. Regardless of the responses I get here I am going to quit drinking them period I think. They're expensive and I don't like feeling this way, and I'm pretty sure (could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure) I'm feeling like this because I HAVE been using them. Ugh.
  • kmck045
    kmck045 Posts: 19
    Options
    Don't know about the energy/motivation side of things - I got hooked on the things so went cold turkey cos I thought that couldn't be a good sign! Always got jittery/couldn't sit still when I was drinking energy drinks.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Worst thing on the market in my opinion. Lots of deaths due to these type of drinks. Cafeine dehydrates you so if you are drinking if after exercising or even before you are not doing your body any favors.

Many people feel the low after the increase even with the sugar free, again it is the cafeine and other stimulants in the drinks.

I would advise that you drink something else, even gatorade instead. Water is the best option but you might need to back off slowly.

Good Luck!

the amount of caffeine in most of these drinks is not going to be enough to dehydrate you to the point where it affects your workout.

the worst thing about these drinks in my opinion is the $4 people are paying for about 20 cents of ingrediants. if you want some taurine and caffeine go by some powder and tablets. it will immediately cure the hole this stuff puts in your wallet.