I cant seem to loose any weight.

Options
Hi all. Have been on this site for some time now. I go to the gym and eat my normal meals. I made some adjustments though and only want to loose like 5kilos, maybe 8. I used to weigh less and just want to feel comfortable again. At the looks of things I dont eat enough during the day. I've always eating like this and now i can't shed the weight. I am very fruatrated. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• lukos05
    lukos05 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Can we have a little more information? Like your caloric and protein intake and how you define 'going to the gym'? I will say that losing just 5kilos is probably harder than someone wanting to lose 25; ironic, I know, especially if you are already small. If you have a standard gym activity that doesn't really vary, like *just hitting the stationary bike or treadmill, your body and muscles need new stimuli; they need to be challenged to help you burn calories. From personal experience based on my crap-tastic base-line metabolism, I suggest adding weight-training to anyone who is stuck. Most people think cardio is the way to burn calories, but you'll be surprised how your metabolism and ability to burn those calories is jump started with added muscle. I don't mean body building craziness; I mean doing fewer reps with higher weights at a slower rate. Most women like 3-8lb weights (1-3kg), I did and that is all I stuck to until I got myself stuck in a rut, but as soon as I started challenging my muscles -15, 20, 25lbs - I saw an improvement and 15lb (6.8kg) weight loss in 2 months. I am not a professional trainer and I don't know all your details; I'm just a person on the journey with you who has fought through plateaus. I hope you got a fresh idea or two.
  • helen_becko
    helen_becko Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I will definitely spice things up more in the gym. I usually do the stationary bike for 20 minutes and alternating days i walk fast and sprint in the treadmill for 20 or more minutes. Im teaching in a foreign country and get a meal at school. I try to keep track of everything although portion sizes etc may vary. With that counted i struggle to get 2100 calories per day. Heck, i usually cant reach 5000 kilojoules (that is what my settings are on now). My next mission is to find a flexible meal plan and hopefully i can do it around the meal given at my school.

Thanks again!
  • lukos05
    lukos05 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Dieting is hard when you have to rely on meals from others. Perhaps creating 2-3 small portions out of the meal could help since a lot of studies recommend eating small meals 6 times a day (or even every 2 hours). Right now my calorie counter is set at 1410 for a 172cm, 78kg female - it's tough! (My husband's is set at 2100 and I just glare at him when he says he is starving;) My calculated recommended calories for maintenance of weight is around 2200 calories. You may want to drop your calorie intake or do some simple things to increase your activity to start; squats and walking lunges during breaks, stairs, standing and walking as much as possible, etc. If I can't work out, I do body weight exercises: 25 squats, 25 crunches, and 25 pushups/tricep dips, 4 times a piece alternating just to get some activity in. Something simple like that. I know people who have a 5-20 minute routine before showers or even do small sets of jumping jacks, squats, pushups, jump rope, etc before taking a bathroom break (yes, it has been called a 'pee-tax'). Just little things to burn extra calories. You don't have far to go for your goal, so just changing up your workout could do the trick!
  • allisoncouturier
    allisoncouturier Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was having a tough time too, but I handed my food journal over to a nutritionist and in 6 days I've lost 3lbs. Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. I am 6' tall and now 212 lbs and my guidelines are 1400 calories/ 120g protein/ 75 carbs and 55g fats per day. I work out 30 minutes 3x/week. I used to drink a two liter of Sprite everyday, just 7 days ago....and with supplemental protein shakes now I have no cravings for sugar and I am NOT hungry. It's amazing!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym has nothing to do with weight loss. Figure out your calorie needs and get your eating nailed down.
  • helen_becko
    helen_becko Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Looks like i lost .8kg. Hopefully it's not a flook. With my body you never know!! Hope it only goes down from here*