upping calorie intake?

Options
I'm 18 and I weigh 160 lbs. How many calories should I be eating in a day? 1200 just doesn't feel like enough.

Replies

• RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    what's your height?
  • realgirl9892
    Options
    5'6"
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I don't see much for fiberous veggies in your diet. Add some bulk to meals with veggies. You don't seem to eat much lean protein either. Fiber & protein will help you feel full! Bump your fiber goal to 25 or 30grams. (But, increase to that amount slowly. You don't want to upset your system.)
  • realgirl9892
    Options
    I agree. But I'm often at the discretion of what my parents are eating, I live at home.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I am doing 1200 calories right now too. Some days it is too much when i have a great work out and other days i wish i had more. If your goal to lose a lot sooner than later then keep at it. go shopping with whoever is the buying food so you can help make healthy choices fro yourself and family.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can ask your mom to buy some baby spinach... whenever I need to add some veggies and don't feel like making any, I put my dinner (whatever it is) over a bed of spinach & eat it like a salad. Usually the juices from the entree are enough & I don't need to add a salad dressing. Just a thought!
  • katyrose221
    katyrose221 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When I got down to 1200, I was always hungry. 1200 is a guess based on abstract values that really don't take in to account how you, yourself, actually use and burn calories. I did two things, I upped my calorie limit (rather, I adjusted from 1lb/week to 1/2/week) and switched to a low-sugar and starchy-carbs/high protein diet. I typically eat between 1300 and 1400 calories. I am rarely hungry. Go with what your body is telling you.

Though the diatetic association lists 1200 cals as the minimum before "starvation mode" as a general guideline. Many people reach that point before that. On average, most women should eat between 1400 and 1800 cals per day.

Good luck!