21 Day Fix family recipes

Options
bethberg12
bethberg12 Posts: 40 Member
So I'm starting 21 Day Fix next week when I get my stuff, but I'm trying to plan everything I can in advance.
However, I can't quite figure out how I can cook family meals for everyone (me, H, son) and know what my serving size/colors should be. I've tried searching online, but everything I see is meals for 1 person, using the 21DF colors/guidelines. I'm in charge of dinner almost every night, and I can't make myself something separate while cooking for my H and son.

Any links/ideas/suggestions are welcome! Thanks :smile:

Replies

• NEWMEKELLIB
    NEWMEKELLIB Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Pinterest is full of ideas!
  • bethberg12
    Options
    Thanks! I'm trying to tweak my search terms b/c I'm only pulling up single-serving recipes. Hopefully I'll figure it out!
  • ladyjay71
    ladyjay71 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm on day 3 of the plan and I was a bit overwhelmed when I received my package, it almost seemed as if it was too much work but I read the book and thought about it. Basically it's portion control, so while the containers are a guide you don't have to fill them at every meal. For me, it's 4 proteins (red), 3 veggies (green), 2 carbs (yellow), 1 fat (blue) and 2 extras such as salad dressing, oils etc. You can still make everyday food, like chicken, rice and a veggie for dinner and you can have all of it but within the size of your portion. I purchased the challenge pack which came with a months supply of the Shakeology shake which I love. They count as a protein and if make it with milk also counts as a carb. I've been making it with almond milk and frozen berries and drink it after my workout. It's filling and curbs my cravings, it really does. Feel free to send me a friend request and you can see what I eat in a day. Good luck, we can get through this together.
  • deltayork
    deltayork Posts: 71 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Pinterest is awesome!! I'll PM you my page.

Also join the 21 day fix group on MFP. They have a recipe sharing thread.

I'm on my 2nd round week 1. Lost 3 pounds my first round and I was about 75% perfect due to a trip home my first week and camping last weekend. My goal is 90-95% perfect this round :). Before 21 day fix I ate way too many bad carbs and not enough fruits and veggies. I do far better now!
  • bethberg12
    Options
    Thanks!
    ladyjay71 wrote: »
    Hi I'm on day 3 of the plan and I was a bit overwhelmed when I received my package, it almost seemed as if it was too much work but I read the book and thought about it. Basically it's portion control, so while the containers are a guide you don't have to fill them at every meal. For me, it's 4 proteins (red), 3 veggies (green), 2 carbs (yellow), 1 fat (blue) and 2 extras such as salad dressing, oils etc. You can still make everyday food, like chicken, rice and a veggie for dinner and you can have all of it but within the size of your portion. I purchased the challenge pack which came with a months supply of the Shakeology shake which I love. They count as a protein and if make it with milk also counts as a carb. I've been making it with almond milk and frozen berries and drink it after my workout. It's filling and curbs my cravings, it really does. Feel free to send me a friend request and you can see what I eat in a day. Good luck, we can get through this together.

It's not so much that I don't know how to fill them, but I'm struggling with making a recipe (like soup or enchiladas ) and figuring out how I would calculate my containers from a serving. I need to be able to make a large enough meal to fill a hungry husband and a hungry boy, and be able to know that my green serving size container equals x Red, x Yellow, and x Green. Does that make sense?

I hear she's coming out with a cookbook of family style meals, which is awesome...but not until July/August!
  • SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    There's a group here on MFP where people are sharing about 21DF/X including their favorite Fix Approved recipes:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/103806-21-day-fixers
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    El Fresco chicken sausage about 1.5 sausages is equal to 1 red with peppers and onions 1 green and a flat out wrap 1 yellow.
  • fitcrt
    fitcrt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to do the fix (somewhat modified) and feed my family as well, so I made a list of low-carb dinners I know my family already likes, and meals that I can omit the carbs from & everyone else can still eat them, like taco salad - my family gets tortilla chips & I don't. Right now my list includes: meatloaf, stuffed peppers, grilled steaks or chicken w/ veggies, stir fry, chef salad, salsa chicken, and I am looking online at "low carb" family meals which seem to fit well w/ the fix...