Weight Training?

Options
After losing almost 50 pounds, I'm stuck. My doctor said to start lifting weights. GREAT IDEA DOC!! Uhhh....well...umm...I don't know what to lift (other than the weights themselves) how much, how often, in what sequence. I can't afford a personal trainer, and would rather not hurt myself before I even get started. I have a membership at a local fitness place and they have the weights, but the trainer gives you basics, which I've already gotten the hang of.
Any input would be appreciated!

Replies

• WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    I just started weight training myself. I did not start with actual weights....i am starting of using body weight to build up some strength before moving onto the actual weights. Do some research on body weight strength training. That way you can come up with a routine that works for you.
  • cbarn025
    cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    www.bodybuilding.com They have workout plans up there for various goals.
  • cbarn025
    cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    A typical basic split(training schedule) would look some like this

Monday: Chest and Triceps
    Tuesday:Rest or Cardio abs
    Wed: Back and Biceps
    Thurs: rest or Cardio/abs
    Friday: Shouders/legs
    Saturday: Rest or cardio/abs
    Sunday: rest.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Start by this :
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=127023861

It should put you on the right track :smile:

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    www.bodybuilding.com They have workout plans up there for various goals.

Check out Jamie Eason's LiveFit 12 week program. I'm doing this now. On week 3 and I feel some changes already, I'm going to take comparison pics at the end of week 6 (halfway). One of my friends did it and lost about 30 pounds and her muscle definition looks amazing.
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I am using this 12 week program to start:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm
  • GrnEyes839
    GrnEyes839 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to look at them all.
  • calliedeaner
    Options
    Would your gym allow a split training session, maybe we can afford it together?
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Choose one that you can stick with for at least 8-12 weeks. Don't jump from one routine one week and a couple of weeks later jump to another because it promises great results. The routine is only a small part of the equation, the diet makes up the biggest part.
  • GrnEyes839
    GrnEyes839 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    WhatAnAss wrote: »
    I just started weight training myself. I did not start with actual weights....i am starting of using body weight to build up some strength before moving onto the actual weights. Do some research on body weight strength training. That way you can come up with a routine that works for you.

Will do that! Thanks!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    cbarn025 wrote: »

I wouldn't suggest a split routine to a beginner.
    A 3 times a week full body routine is designed for a beginner. Like Stronglifts 5x5, Strong Curves, New Rules of Lifting.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Was going to ask who bumped a 2-year old thread?

Saw it was OP.

Carry on, then.

Oh, and I'd also suggest you ignore the brosplit outlined above. Unless, of course, you really want to do that type of routine. In which case, it's better than nothing.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing StrongLifts and is quite simple. It's great for the beginner trainer.
  • Gmajodster
    Gmajodster Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend bodybuilding.com ... create a bodyspace account .. you can have the app on your phone. I've been on that site for a year and my body has changed considerably since I started weight lifting. There are many programs you can follow .. I started with Jaime Easons 12 week LiveFit Trainer workout... and have worked my way up to actually investing money in a coach that combines nutrition and the workouts and couldn't be happier with my progress. Enjoy your journey! :smile:
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You could just get the trainer for one or two sessions to focus entirely on good form. Then you're good to go on your own. Stronglifts lacks accessory work and mobility advice; you'll need to read up on (or work with the trainer) how to identify your weaknesses and strengthen them to build a good foundation to prevent injury down the line.

You don't need to see the trainer every single week - some people do that, but it's not for me. Mine has written me a program after 3 initial sessions focusing on each lift, and then we meet every 4-5 weeks to reassess and check things and see what the next 4 weeks holds. The interim bit I do alone.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Most of these people don't know what they're talking about or are prescribing methods that will get you nowhere, fast. My credentials: I weigh 165 and squat over 400 (full depth).

Get the book Starting Strength 3rd Edition by Mark Rippetoe. This book is the best place to start out lifting weights, as it explains very well how to do the compound barbell lifts correctly. This program will tell you what to do, how, and why, and has made tens of thousands of people stronger. Once you're done with this, which will take about 6 months, you can choose if you want to continue with strength production or aesthetics. Then, a more complicated and bro-friendly bodybuilding split might be what's called for. Until then, go with this.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - I am assuming that you are beginner to lifting, yes? I would suggest looking into starting strength, strong lifts, or new rules of lifting for woman.

Also, if you are not losing weight you are not in a calorie deficit, and weight training won't change that. You can not out lift a calorie surplus.

Do you use a food scale?
    Are you using accurate database entries on MFP?
    do you log everything you eat?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    cbarn025 wrote: »

I wouldn't suggest a split routine to a beginner.
    A 3 times a week full body routine is designed for a beginner. Like Stronglifts 5x5, Strong Curves, New Rules of Lifting.

co sign
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    There are a ton of strength training programs out there. Find something that you would enjoy...

If you like to work with dumbbells there's New Rules of Lifting (book) or ChaLEAN Extreme (dvd) that you would enjoy. There's also a group on here for New Rules - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w And a group for CLX -
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/318-chalean-extreme-support-group
    You can always find circuit training programs like Jillian Michaels that use dumbbells - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/2883-jillian-michaels-body-revolution

There's also programs that use kettlebells and resistance bands. Here's a women strength training group - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/771-women-strength-training

If you want to start lifting, here's another resource, this post is in the Most Helpful Post/Must Read Section in the main forum - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308750/so-you-want-to-start-lifting-great/p1

Good luck, the benefits of strength training are invaluable.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Was going to ask who bumped a 2-year old thread?

Saw it was OP.

Carry on, then.

Oh, and I'd also suggest you ignore the brosplit outlined above. Unless, of course, you really want to do that type of routine. In which case, it's better than nothing.

*kitten*... necro'd.