Need good low calorie & low carb snacks

Options
I get so hungry at night while watching TV. Any good tricks out there?

Replies

• NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    How about celery sticks with peanut butter?
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Stop watching TV. ;D Since that isn't an option my favorite munching snack lately has been Carrots and Hummus. 3ozs Carrot sticks 80 calories, and Hummus 70 calories. Not 100% Low Carb, but its not like you are eating a bag of chips.

Another treat is the "meat" tray. I keep things like nitrate free turkey breast, and chicken cutlets around. I put those on a plate with a little cheese (little tiny cubes) and a vegetable like Broccoli or Sugar Snap peas on the side....and munch away.

Denise
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Unbuttered popcorn is an option.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Are you actually hungry or just in the mood to eat something? For me, it's usually the latter so I try to find something to do with my hands while I watch TV. Lately it's been playing slots apps on my tablet.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    If you're snacking from habit, not hunger, there are ways to break that habit. I ended up removing all snacks from my office, which means I have to get up and go downstairs to snack. That means I eventually stopped snacking out of habit and now mostly only do that when I'm actually hungry. I also don't buy snack foods at the grocery store anymore. Now, if I'm really craving chips, I have to actually get out and drive to the nearest gas station to buy one. I'm essentially lazy, so I'm not as likely to do that! ^_^;

You can also take your favorite snack cracker and portion it out according to what a serving size is into individual baggies. Keep them in an inconvenient place so they're not readily accessible, but you can still get them. Granted, they'll be less than what you're used to, but it'll be much more under your control. You'll still get to eat something you like and not feel deprived, which is another reason I tend to snack. As for other things, popcorn is good. I use oil-popped because it tastes better and drizzle just a little butter on it. That doesn't add a lot of fat, so it works for me. You don't have to go to veggies and fruits for snacks if you don't want to. Some people do, and that's fine for them. You just need to find ways to limit what you like so it doesn't overtake your calories for the day.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Hummus and low-carb veggies (celery, carrots, peppers, snap peas, cucumbers)
    Celery and peanut butter (1 tsp goes quite a long way)
    Apple and peanut butter
    Lite string cheese or babybel cheese
    Lettuce wrap with deli turkey
    Boiled egg (or just the whites)

I also like air-popped popcorn with a little olive oil spray and sea salt, but that's not so low-carb. The veggies are good because they're pretty filling and take some time to eat. You can't just snark down a whole bowl of raw vegetables the way you can with chips or cookies.

Make sure to portion out whatever you're going to snack on in a bowl or on a plate before sitting down in front of the TV. That will help you to not go overboard with the snacking. Good luck!
  • Kathleene123
    Kathleene123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your great ideas. I'm allergic to corn so popcorn is out. The hummus and veggies are great ideas. I get so hungry at night but last night I had some grapes and was fine. The not watching TV was funny but really a good idea. I do have some puzzels I could put together to keep me distracted. Again thanks for ideas.