High Bar vs Low Bar Squats

erojoy
erojoy Posts: 554 Member
So yesterday for the first time I tried squatting Low Bar. I've been reading about the differences and how it affects body alignment and muscles worked and I wanted to see if I could complete a day of MadCow using this option. I go very deep into my squats thigh to calf and the low bar position allowed me to do it a little better, but I still find high bar more comfortable.Watched the guy next to me squatting around 275 with a high bar, which is how I feel everyone is initially taught, but was too scared to ask him if he's tried low bar.

So I thought hey MFP maybe you guys have an opinion. What works best for you? Have you tried both?

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited June 2015
  • erojoy
    edited June 2015
    Ya I read that article awhile ago. I was kind of just trying to see what others did here and what worked for them. I'm not really looking for a definitive answer, but Thank You!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    I've done both, but I prefer high bar now as it is more comfortable.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    I've also done both and I find low bar more comfy.
  • erojoy
    edited June 2015
    See I was thinking that it was too. the heavier the weight was, the harder it was for me keep the bar in place on the low bar sets.

I find the differences in how people work fascinating. I'm not going to sit here and say one is wrong or one is right. :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    it's 100% personal preference.

I prefer high bar- but I tend to squat in a high/low hybrid with positioning (could be tightened up admittedly)- but low bar tends to compress my thoracic uncomfortably.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited June 2015
    I started out with high bar, but after about a year or so switched to low bar. Low bar has been best suited to my training regimen; however, I will occasionally phase in a time of adding high bar squats in as a "light" day to mitigate fatigue some as I cannot handle as much weight doing high bar as I can low bar and my front squat SUCKS!

I know the site and article might be powerlifting specific, but the information given between the two are useful and educational.
    http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/high-bar-vs-low-bar-squats/
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    I've only been squatting for a short period of time, but I prefer the low bar position. High bar isn't comfortable to me at the moment, and I feel like my upper body has become stronger from actively pushing with my chest when using the low bar position.

I may try to switch to high bar squats though, because low bar squats hurt my wrists and elbows, and my shoulders aren't very flexible, so they have started to hurt as well. I've watched various form tutorials, but I think my body has been inactive for so long that it's just going to take time for my joints to become stronger and more flexible-- something I'm working on.
  • JoRocka
    http://www.strengtheory.com/squats-are-not-hip-dominant-or-knee-dominant-3/

seriously massively having a geek out over this article.

So awesome.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    I've never really thought about it. I just put the bar where it's most comfortable and where I seem to have a natural 'shelf'. Having watched a couple of videos I don't think I am particularly high or low. I'm am a mid bar squatter I guess :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I started with stronglifts, which recommends low bar, and honestly, I've never tried high bar since. Had my first issue with feeling like I was going to drop the bar last week at 180lbs, but my back was also soaking wet and I felt like I couldn't get a good lock. Grip improved when I wiped it off with my shirt. I may try chalk in the future too if it continues to be an issue.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    I used to high bar all my squats. Gave low bar a try about two months ago, and every single thing I would normally fight with just went away. With low bar, my back stays effortlessly tight, my weight stays back on my heels. A bit more stress on wrists and elbows but the trade off is well worth it.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    I am a total beginner, but for what it's worth: I'm sticking with high bar because I have a tendency to pitch forward too much ("good morning"ing the squat), and high bar form is less forgiving on that respect. It keeps me honest about whether I'm trying to lift too much weight for that day, and I hope will limit injury risk as I increase weight. (I lift in the evening after running hard in the morning, so how much weight I can squat on a given day is variable.)
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    High bar tends to be more quad dominant, low bar hits the hammies and the glutes a little harder. I am in between and I would like to go full lowbar, but shoulder mobility is an issue for me. I put the bar as low as I can get it on my back and try to squat more lowbar than high.

You will typically be able to move more weight going strict lowbar than highbar as it recruits more muscles than a highbar squat.

In the end, use what works for you. Squats are one of those exercises that seem to change as you add weight, and I have found just as I think I have something figured out on them, I find something else I need to adjust.

If you are having trouble getting the bar to stay in place on lowbar, check the placement of your elbows and grip. Rippetoe has a great video on youtube about how to squat lowbar and the grip involved. Minor changes with elbow position, as in elbows up, thumbless grip with thumbs over the bar instead of around will make huge differences in how you hold the bar for a lowbar squat. Those little changes made a big difference for me.

• erojoy
    @DvlDwnInGA you are right it is definitely about how i'm gripping it. I have the mobility so I don't think I'm not ever going to use this again, but instead trade off and see over time what works for me.

@Iron_Miss_Canada that's an interesting perspective. I've definitely read you can squat more weight on low bar and I really really want to hit 200 by the end of the summer. I did two reps at 185 and my body is like ummmmm I don't know if you want to go further. So I started down and am working my way back up with MadCow. I just really want to hit that 200 goal and more if I can.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Don't over-think this as it's not overly important unless you compete. Find a form that is comfortable for you and squat, keep it simple and just use what feels best. Outside of competition with recreational lifters this gets far too much attention in my opinion.
  • JoRocka
    edited June 2015
    DvlDwnInGA wrote: »
    High bar tends to be more quad dominant, low bar hits the hammies and the glutes a little harder. I am in between and I would like to go full lowbar, but shoulder mobility is an issue for me. I put the bar as low as I can get it on my back and try to squat more lowbar than high.

You will typically be able to move more weight going strict lowbar than highbar as it recruits more muscles than a highbar squat.

In the end, use what works for you. Squats are one of those exercises that seem to change as you add weight, and I have found just as I think I have something figured out on them, I find something else I need to adjust.

If you are having trouble getting the bar to stay in place on lowbar, check the placement of your elbows and grip. Rippetoe has a great video on youtube about how to squat lowbar and the grip involved. Minor changes with elbow position, as in elbows up, thumbless grip with thumbs over the bar instead of around will make huge differences in how you hold the bar for a lowbar squat. Those little changes made a big difference for me.

read the article I posted- it was like a follow up on the one that was posted high vs low- and it was about the mechanics of squatting.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    I was originally a low-bar squatter.

Had an incident at work that messed up my hip and found during the rehab process that low-bar wasn't swinging it for me anymore.

Switched it up to high-bar and I'm a happy chappy. Not quite up to my prior strength levels yet, but getting there slowly but surely. When I hit my previous max it'll feel like a PR for sure!
  • erojoy
    @Sam_I_Am77 I hear you loud and clear. ;)
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    I used to high bar all my squats. Gave low bar a try about two months ago, and every single thing I would normally fight with just went away. With low bar, my back stays effortlessly tight, my weight stays back on my heels. A bit more stress on wrists and elbows but the trade off is well worth it.

I've never really spent much time with high bar except as an accessory. I can move more weight low bar but you hit the nail on the head with wrists and elbows. I really have to cast my wrists and use a thumbless grip. My elbows have been kicking off recently as well and I'm considering going geriatric and training with elbow sleeves.

Mind you, I keep my hands in tight right against my shoulders. I've tried going wider but back tightness suffers.