From cardio to lifting...

Options
So just gonna swallow my pride and ask my question, as dumb as it may be. In the last 4 years I've lost about 60lbs getting from 187 to 130 (I'm 5'3). I've stayed at the 130 for some time now and I'm changing up from cardio to lifting heavy (ok heavy for me, ha). My goal has shifted from weight loss to building muscle and lowering my bf%.
I've partnered up with a trainer and I told her I'd like to follow through with the Live Fit plan on Bodybuilding.com. We are following that as closely as possible.

I've noticed when I'm done I'm not my sweaty self that I used to be after doing cardio type workouts. I understand the cardio will get the heart rate up more so but it just feels like I didn't get "as good" of a workout? Am I crazy? I lift heavy, usually sets of 8-12 (depending on body part)..last 2-3 are a struggle. Sessions last 45-50 minutes and I like to super set so I keep moving and allow for rest between sets at the same time.

Should I be a big sweaty mess at the end of a lifting session? There are times I get out of breath and sweaty but then my "set" is over and I'm off to a different part and seem to cool down. This is new to me and I want to make sure I'm spending my time wisely so I can see results. Thanks!

Replies

• theredhead77
    theredhead77 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think that is a great question. I feel like I could have written this post and would also like to know the answer.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a dumb question at all. Weights are certainly going to tax your body differently, so the sweaty mess you're used to after cardio might not be present after weights, but it doesn't mean you're not getting a good workout. If you want the sweaty mess, just do some cardio after your weights routine, and you'll be double-dipping. :-)
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    It sort of depends on the person and what they're wearing, sounds a bit odd.

If you're wearing something heavy, like a hoodie, chances are you might start sweating a bit. If its light then I don't tend to sweat as much... it's relative to how you normally sweat - it's an odd thing lol.

Just keep lifting, as long as you eat right and lift heavy enough, your lifts will go up!
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I alternate running days and lifting days. Running days give me that sweaty mess. Lifting makes me a sweat a little, but nothing in comparison. No matter how heavy the weights, it's just not the same. MFP calculates that a strength session burns 3 calories a minute for me. I think that's probably close to accurate in comparison to my cardio calories.
  • notwaitin
    notwaitin Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I won't cry about not being a "sweaty mess" after my lifts. I just noticed I'm not peeling off my wet clothes like I normally do and thought Oh crap, am I doing this right? Kind of feel like I'm moving in slow motion now a bit...but I'm loving it. I go as heavy as I can without losing my form.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I both walk and lift heavy. Walking for 40 minutes leaves me a DRENCHED wreck with dripping hair. Lifting leaves me with a cute little damp spot in my cleavage. The damp spot gets larger the heavier I'm lifting and the higher I leave my heart-rate go. Sounds pretty normal to me - I have MUCH MORE INTENSE DOMS from lifting than I ever get from cardio. I get faster weight loss from cardio, but nicer muscle maintenance and shape from lifting. There is a reason for each, and a reason I do both. :)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I never sweat as hard as I do with cardio. My body never feels like jellyo and OMG quad craps on the drive home like a lifting session.

Sounds like you might have a body recomp diet which will be the way you can obtain your goals.

Don't worry about lack of sweat with lifting. You will slowly start to feel the difference of a crappy workout, a great workout, and I did too much yesterday workout.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    If you are loving it, keep doing it. I would give it some time to see if your goals are being met and you're able to see positive results in your body transformation and definition or reduction in body fat as you are hoping for along with your diet. If so, then it's a win, win. If not, time to reassess.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The simple answer is no, you don't have to be a sweaty mess after strength training.
  • notwaitin
    Options
    **high fives*** whoop, on with my plan I go...
  • theredhead77
    theredhead77 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hey, thank you for asking!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Nope. Don't really sweat much when I weight train. Don't miss it either.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Great answers but will repeat - you won't sweat so much as you're taxing your body in a different way. If you like that sweaty feeling add a cardio day. If you're enjoying your routine stick with it but there are routines that incorporate medium weights with faster moves to help you get your sweat on if that's what you want.
  • runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I mostly superset also for a good 45 min - 1hr. I go heavy all the time but my level of drench really depends on how heavy, how intense, and how short of a time I take to catch my breath between sets. So if you want to sweat more, kick up the weight a tiny bit so that you cant get anywhere near 12 rep. Wear a heart rate monitor so you know you're staying busy in the gym. Honestly though, I wouldn't worry about it. Your goals have shifted anyway so as long as you leave the gym with muscle fatigue and a bit trembly, you've done what you had to do for the day.
  • notwaitin
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the reassurance everyone! I'm loving DOMS (ya I'm a sicko ha)...I get a little peev'd when I can sit down with ease after a leg day. I still get in a few 15-20 min cardio interval sessions/week and sweat my buns off, but makes me feel more confident knowing my lifting sessions seem to be A-OK! Don't want to be wasting my time.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    When I do 5X5s I am a sweaty mess.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    OP hope you don't mind a thread hijack, but it sounds like you got your answer - I was wondering, is there any difference between doing cardio right after lifting vs doing cardio on separate days?
  • runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hello post hijacker. Doing those workouts on different days or even hours apart will help with the quality and intensity of the each of those workouts. I don't have time for that because I run almost daily so I try to squeeze in whatever I can whenever I can. As long as you keep the cardio after the lifting and not before you it shouldn't affect much though. Except on leg day. Leg day for me makes it hard to do cardio after. I'll still knock out a trail run but the quality of it suffers.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    runfoorun wrote: »
    Hello post hijacker. Doing those workouts on different days or even hours apart will help with the quality and intensity of the each of those workouts. I don't have time for that because I run almost daily so I try to squeeze in whatever I can whenever I can. As long as you keep the cardio after the lifting and not before you it shouldn't affect much though. Except on leg day. Leg day for me makes it hard to do cardio after. I'll still knock out a trail run but the quality of it suffers.

Thank you!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    I'm usually drenched after 5x5 of heavy squats. It really gets my heartrate up too. Equivalent to a 4-5 mile run.
    No other lifts get my heartrate up like that or pores flowing though.