Leg pain when running, help!

Options
I will run the track at the gym with my sister and after about a km or so I get sharp pains in my front calf. I don't feel tired and I want to continue running farther but the pain is pretty bad. only in one leg as well. I pushed myself one day and ignored the pain but it was difficult the next day. Does anyone else get this? Are there certain stretches I should be doing to target this area? I love running but my leg does not!

Thank you!

Replies

• Mamarrycos
    Mamarrycos Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    are you drinking enough water, this could be a contributing factor
  • goddesskde
    goddesskde Posts: 7
    Options
    That would be a shin splint. They hurt really really really bad.
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/shin-splints
    That's an article about them. I suffer frequently from them. I am currently trying compression socks and I went to a local store called fleet feet and was fitted for new running shoes. They recorded me while I ran on a treadmill and evaluated what the issues were. I'm hoping this time I can shake them for good
  • Tonibbls
    Tonibbls Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've taken up running also and get bad pain in shins , cramping. I'm drinking lots of water and taking vitamins to try and help . I've also wrapped legs with compression hose or ace wraps it seems to help. Just trying to work through it
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints, but honestly if RICE (rest, ice, compression and elevation) doesn't help you should see a Dr. You could have a fracture or something. If you continue running I would be sure you have a GREAT pair of running shoes, and stretch properly AFTER you run.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Agreed...shin splints. Working through them will make them worse and more difficult for them to heal. It is believed that it is the muscle pulling away fromt he bone. Do not work through them. Wrap legs with ace bandages and rotate ice and heat every 10 minutes. Good luck.
  • Dean513
    Dean513 Posts: 23
    Options
    If you are feeling pain in the front of your leg, you might have shin splints. Check your shoes, if there is any uneven wear on either side, you might have a pronation or a leg imbalance issue which could also cause the pain. The best thing to do is not try to run through it, it might make it worse, try rest, icepacks and aleve.
  • angelzxy321
    angelzxy321 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I get this while running too. I read up on it and found that it's called shin splints and results from too much force on the shin bone or the larger calf muscle puller on the weaker front muscles. I find that the only thing that helps me is running on the treadmill as posed to a harder service. It reduces the impact on your feet, reducing the pain on your shins. I miss the outdoors but at least now I can run for longer without feeling the pain. I also read that running barefooted on grass also reduces the pain. This seemed to work for a lot of people but I do not have anywhere in my neighborhood to try that so I can't say.

Stretching is also supposed to help a lot. I do that now before and after and the pain has reduced significantly. I almost forget it's there.
    This may help: http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/lowerleg/shinsplints.htm
  • ElisaRazz
    ElisaRazz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    That could be shin splints; I use to get them when I was running. It’s a horrible pain and I found that trying to stretch it out when it happened never worked.
    I say stretch a lot more before running and maybe look into getting more supporting shoes, sorry I wasnt much help..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_splints