Treadmill Desks - Thoughts

Options
So, I know there is all this hype about treadmill desks lately, and I've wanted a treadmill for awhile now. Last week my husband and I decided to get a treadmill, so we ordered it online and I set it up. My original goal was just to have a treadmill to walk on while I watched some shows on Netflix.

Then my husband decided to make it a treadmill desk - something he has been wanting. We got a metal adjustable tool/garage shelving thing from Walmart and surprisingly it works out super well.

I've found that my speed is 2.0 mph and the first day that we had the desk set up I spaced out and realized that I walked over 96 minutes without realizing it :open_mouth:

What are ya'lls thoughts about treadmill desk walking? It doesn't feel (physically) like it's just hype to me.

Replies

• Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It's walking. It's good! But, I guess since it's *so* repetitive, I'd be careful to mix it up and not totally overdo it.

http://walkingfit.ucr.edu/faq.html#q6
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I couldn't walk and type at the same time. If it's working for you, great!
  • whimsy38
    whimsy38 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    In a work environment, it's better than the damage sitting all day can do. For exercise, you are probably going to want more intensity soon.
  • HoundstoothMFP
    HoundstoothMFP Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @TakeMyTai Was just looking for others who do this. I've started doing all my email checking, forum browsing, netflix/hulu watching while I walk. If I'm really trying to concentrate I do about 2.0 but scrolling/watching is 2.5 and 3.0 for watching. I'm recovering from an injury and I'm 300+ so I can't go much faster. But BOY the sweat just rolls off. It's low intensity enough that I don't worry about over training.
  • RebeccaD22
    RebeccaD22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE one at work but its just not possible. I have a standing work station that raises and lowers and an under the desk elliptical pedal thing, which is nice. Good for you!