Deficit or protein goal?

Options
ljk0615
ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
I have been trying to eat a gram per pound of body weight of protein each day. This is really the only macro I pay a lot of attention to bc I feel like my carbs and fat usually fall into place if I meet my protein. My goal is to maintain muscle mass in doing this and I feel like I've been successful. I know not meeting this macro nutrient goal just one day is not a big deal but I was wondering what you would do in this situation. I wasn't really paying attention earlier in the day and now to meet my protein I'm going to have to go over my calories. Im set at losing a pound a week so I'm at 1390. Would you sacrifice the deficit to meet protein goal?

Replies

• ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Also, I lifted today if you think that makes a difference...
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Ah see, I was talking over all and just realized you're just talking about one day. One day won't matter so much in the long run, I think you're fine for today.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    A gram of protein per lb of body weight isn't needed. I know quite a few people on MFP go by the rule 0.8g per lb.

No. I wouldn't sacrifice the deficit to meet the protein goal. If it's just one day, log it and move onto the next B)
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    It's not likely to matter very much in the grand scheme of things since it's only one day. Do as you please.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it.
  • daaaaaanielle
    daaaaaanielle Posts: 114 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I would go for the protein if my intake for the day was particularly low (like, under 50% probably) but just make sure that I stayed underneath my maintenance calories for the day. If you hit maintenance, all you're doing is not having a deficit one day but you won't gain any weight from that.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Nope, I would not go over my calories just to meet an artificially-high protein goal. I'm not slamming you for setting a high protein goal! Everyone has their preferences! But it is higher than experts say we need, so overeating just to meet it isn't something I would do.

If it's a big deal to you, though, go for it! It's one day. Not a huge deal. :)
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    ljk0615 wrote: »
    I have been trying to eat a gram per pound of body weight of protein each day. This is really the only macro I pay a lot of attention to bc I feel like my carbs and fat usually fall into place if I meet my protein. My goal is to maintain muscle mass in doing this and I feel like I've been successful. I know not meeting this macro nutrient goal just one day is not a big deal but I was wondering what you would do in this situation. I wasn't really paying attention earlier in the day and now to meet my protein I'm going to have to go over my calories. Im set at losing a pound a week so I'm at 1390. Would you sacrifice the deficit to meet protein goal?

I go for just under .8/lb as the bare minimum. One day won't make a tiny bit of difference in body composition, even if you have half the protein you should.

But if it bothers you, eat up to maintenance.