Targeting Abdominal Muscles

Options
peaceout_aly
peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
edited June 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello!
Looking to tone up my abdomen and wanted to see what exercises you all suggest (aside from the basic plank, crunch/sit-up, etc.) I currently do the "crunch machine" at my gym with a 45 lb. weight, 4 sets of 25 reps, and have incorporated planks into my yoga routine for core strengthening. I also do the "incline sit up" with a weighted ball when my partner goes to the gym with me. I'm at a loss for more ideas though, so any suggestions are welcome!

Replies

• Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Weighted crunches using a rope attachment on a cable, hanging knee raises, hanging leg raises, reverse crunches, V-sit ups, decline crunches, bicycles, stability ball jack knife, russian twists, various progressions of plank, windscreen wipers, stability ball step off, oblique crunch to name a few.
  • SamZ10
    SamZ10 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Weighted crunches using a rope attachment on a cable, hanging knee raises, hanging leg raises, reverse crunches, V-sit ups, decline crunches, bicycles, stability ball jack knife, russian twists, various progressions of plank, windscreen wipers, stability ball step off, oblique crunch to name a few.

^^ Everything she said!

• peaceout_aly
    Options
    Thank you, IronMaiden! I'm going to have to look these up and try them tonight at the gym
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    Just remember that exercising abs isn't going to ensure you have a flatter stomach or more definition. That has more to do with your calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Check out Christine Salus on YouTube. She has some amazing videos, and I believe there are a few completely focused on abs! I have gotten much more toned doing her workouts the past few months.
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Just remember that exercising abs isn't going to ensure you have a flatter stomach or more definition. That has more to do with your calories.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yup, I know. I typically stay within my cals for the day and eat only nutrient dense food, etc. I don't have much fat, maybe have an extra inch to lose on my stomach, but I'd like to start building up abdomen muscles in the mean time
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    Check out Christine Salus on YouTube. She has some amazing videos, and I believe there are a few completely focused on abs! I have gotten much more toned doing her workouts the past few months.

For some reason I never even thought of going on Youtube. Great idea!
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Very very true but she still needs to build the muscle so when she gets rid of the fluff there's something visible to reveal
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    alykief wrote: »
    Hello!
    I currently do the "crunch machine" at my gym with a 45 lb. weight, 4 sets of 25 reps,

The crunch machines is best for building the "6 pack" muscles in my opinion, because it isolates them while minimizing the energy wasted on other muscles.. plus it's easy to adjust the weight as needed. I'd choose a weight where you cannot do more than about a dozen reps and work close to muscle failure (typical hypertrophy protocol).

If you're not currently doing squats & deadlifts, i'd actually start with those instead. :+1:

• j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Vacuums are good :)