Looking for help, motivation and a general kick up the toosh!!

Options
Dying2Live84
Dying2Live84 Posts: 154 Member
Guys, I am so embarrassed. I've had to change my username because I'm sick of myself and the fact I am starting over again! (call it a fresh start)

Every year is the same, the year I will get healthy, lose weight and start loving life.
Every year I fail, gain a bit more and become even more depressed. I don't use the word "depressed" lightly - I know I have depression.

I have always had weight issues. My Mum said I started to gain at around 8 years old - I was a fussy eater and probably got what I wanted. I don't blame my Mum. She lost my sister when I was 2 years old and I'm sure she spoilt me because she couldn't, her. Also, my mum is a feeder. It's not a bad thing, because she is a great host - it just means she's always offering food! I tell her all the time to pack it in, but that's just her and I need to learn to say NO.

I am at my heaviest right now - I haven't weighed for a few weeks and I am scared because I am almost positive I'm almost hitting 300lbs!! WHAT THE ACTUAL...... time to get a firm grip of myself.

I know I come across as a jokey kind of girl but it's all false. I am miserable as sin.

I recently took a plane journey and although I can still fit in the seat, I could not fasten the belt. Luckily, no-one noticed and my embarrassment was kept hidden. At what point though do you go "come on woman, this is not normal!!!" - why is none of this making me pull myself together and shift the weight? It's making me MORE depressed, MORE uninterested in looking after myself and putting me in hibernation mode.

I need your help - Ok, I can only help myself but please - words of encouragement.... tips .... best foods to eat and ones to avoid ..... "you can do this" chants ...... I'm sure you catch my drift :)

**Praying that this time is THE time**

Replies

• Dying2Live84
    Dying2Live84 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    No-one wants to offer me anything? :(
  • rougecrayon2
    rougecrayon2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey! You can totally turn your life around if you acknowledge that the depression may be the cause of your weight, and not the other way around. And dealing with your depression first means you can ENJOY your journey into health and fitness! I would definitely suggest keeping a therapist or life coach on hold for when you hit these rough patches, then they can push you through it. If it starts to overtake your life you can talk to a psychiatrist or psychologist.

I have a digestive disease which makes me hate food - this drives me to easy/fatty/lazy fast foods. I bought myself toys to process the food - like blenders, and pressure cookers, and anything that makes cooking easier. It makes me cook my dinner almost daily, and by freezing leftovers I can eat homemade on my laziest days.

I also love to sneak veggies into my old favourites... like Taco's for example. Meat, spice, toppings. But what if in the meat I put mushrooms, onion, green, red and yellow peppers, zucchini, spinach. If you chop the ones you like, and mince the ones you don't, throw them in and it makes a delicious veggie taco you can barely taste the difference. Then replace some of the sour cream with delicious guacamole! Yum!

I do this with my spaghetti sauce, my casseroles, cabbage rolls, things like that. The more veggies you have, the fuller you get, the less you need to eat.

I don't bother with taking out foods I don't like (brown bread, gross!... gimme some white every time), but rather eating as much good for me foods as I can. I plan out meals that focus on veggies and protein, then I add a starch - either bread, pita, potatoes, and arborio, basmati, jasmine or white rice (I don't like brown) Then if cheese is also part of the meal, bring on the cheese.

A pressure cooker was an amazing find for me as well. It cooks foods in minutes! Like a whole chicken for like 20 minutes, or potatoes in 8 minutes! It makes difficult meals a set it and forget it kind of thing. (Electronic pressure cookers have no hazards like old stove top ones.)

I'm not one to exercise much, and while I would like to get more active and do fun things, I feel as long as I keep my food healthy I can always take the fitness step later. One step at a time or you get burnt out, right?

I can also say stop weighing yourself. Measurements go down WAY faster and are a way more inspiring way to keep track of your progress. Wait till you are at your doctors to weigh yourself cause that's the only place it matters.

Regarding WHAT foods - all I can say is eat fresh, local in-season foods for the best bang and nutrition for your buck. Buy veggies first, and only walk the grocery aisles if you have something specific to find. :smiley:
  • pattybellis
    pattybellis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also suffer from depression and food is my go to feel good.. I weigh 309 lbs, smoke, am 53 years old, have a sedentary lifestyle, and multiple health problems. Any one of these things by itself should be enough of a wake up call for me. I am also miserable. Let's inspire each other. My first baby step goal is to not buy junk food, boxed, or canned food. I rarely eat out, but fix meals for 5 people. My spouse is diabetic and his sugar is way too high, so we are going to try a diabetic diet. Wish me luck!!

Try using a smaller plate and making most of your meal fresh or steamed vegetables(if frozen) and fruit. Snack on fresh fruit and veggies; alot of them are free food as far as calories!! We can do this!!!

Patty
  • Dustinsteven22
    Dustinsteven22 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    The key to this whole thing is mindset. You have to change your mindset and start to look at things differently to be successful. Instead of "Can't", it's "I can" or "I will." No plan= no change. Make sure to have a solid plan in place and stick to the 3 keys of fitness: Nutrition, Exercise, and Support. You got this! Feel free to add me.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and I have suffered from depression for as long as I can remember. I have been doing MFP for 21 days and I have the support of people my age going through the same things. I do not have the support of my family but I have decided that this is what I want. It only took me 48 years to get here but here I am and fully determined. :) Some days are harder than others but a friend of mine said go for 30 days and just mark off the calendar take baby steps. Then I've seen how long people have done this and I cheer them and they cheer me along even on a bad day. Just take it one day at a time.
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    xkitxkatxkaix Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you sister. Complete emotional eater, binge eater, you name it eater. Depression helps literally nothing either. Over the years I've started to avoid cameras, mirrors, anything that will have my reflection show in it because I hate my body that much. But you know what? It /is/ time for a change and a new chance at life. Feel free to add me dear! :smiley: