TOM and Depression

Options
Hi all,

Anyone else get really depressed the week before their TOM? How do you handle it? What do you do to make yourself feel happier?

:sad:

Replies

• JD92
    JD92 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I eat :ohwell:
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    i dance around like a goofy idiot for my son, take a b vitamin, and deep clean my bathroom. then i drink a cherry coke. then i color in my favorite coloring book. then i sew myself a circle skirt. then i look around desperately for ANYTHING else that'll keep me busy.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I've realized in the last few years, I have a full day of doom & gloom once a month. Thankfully, it doesn't last long. If I can remember to tell myself, "This is just your TOM talking," it really helps. Exercise helps tremendously. I hardly had any symptoms last month, and I was really working out hard. Good luck to you!:smile:
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I don't get depressed, I just get down right rude to EVERYONE. I am talking making grown men cry mean haha you can always tell because I tend to get on here and answer questions rudely. I have found that exercising A LOT helps kind of curb the craziness. I also indulge a little and eat more foods that I wouldn't normally eat those few days. I wish there was like kind of meds that wouldn't make me so mean though!
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Bump. Be back later. Def been there.
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I find something t occupy my tme... Whether it's working on a craft project or watching a ton of movies and being lazy. I will also, as of late, go for a walk or run to kick up my endorphins and I let myself cry when I need to. It helps release any of the silly emotions that are bottled up.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I get like that to! I take everything to heart! My husband always know when Im going to start.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Take a calcium supplement if you're not already. It's good for you every day, but especially in the week leading up to your period. Helps with all kinds of symptoms. I also find that taking vitamin D, B complex, and iron all help keep the blues at bay during my period.
  • Marcia_11
    Marcia_11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how bad your symptoms are but if it lasts more than usual PMS (longer as in like a week), you have severe mood swings and feel withdrawn, it may be PMDD (premenstrual dysphoric disorder). I have this and it's a living hell for 7-10 days. Exercise is one thing that helps tremendously. Along with reducing carbs, increasing potassium and calcium. There are meds but they involve anti-depressants. I don't take them after trying several and having terrible side effects. I'm not a doctor; just have researched this a LOT!
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I had horrible problems with depression and my period.I was diagnosed PMDD and they put me on Yaz. I reduced my caffeine and tried to reduce my sugar but I love sugar too much. I started taking a calcium/ vitamin D supplement and it got a lot better.
  • adougherty10
    Options
    I am so there...right this second! Wish I had an answer for you. I'm drinking a glass of wine, reading the forums on mfp - looking for something to give me energy & make me smile. Guys have it so frickin' easy! Good luck! xoxo
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I fight this horribly, usually for a full 1-2 weeks prior to my period. B vitamins help, esp B complex and B12. I recently started using nutritinal yeast, and was happy to find that it is a rich natural source of B12. I always feel better when I eat clean and eliminate processed foods as much as possible. This month I'm focusing on keeping my sugars down, and see if that makes a difference. Exercise helps, as well as forcing myself to be around people....I get very reclusive when I'm depressed, but interaction with people helps probably more than everything else combined. Hope you can find what works for you. It's a horrible place to be.