Very odd NSV today

Options
During my lunch break I decided to go for a walk. There's a clothing store chain about half a mile from my office, with a women's section on one side of the block and a misses on the other. I went into the women's section because it was closer, and because I have historically fit into a 14 or 16 in women's sizes. As I was about to leave, a lady working there asked me if I was looking for anything in particular, and I responded that I was just looking. She then goes "Are you sure you belong here and not around the corner?" implying that I should be in the misses. And I said "No, I can wear stuff here." And she looked at me suspiciously and goes "What size are you?" I said "I'm a 14 usually." And she goes "14 misses maybe, not women's." And I was like "No, women's... I'm awkwardly in between a size 14 and 16 so I can usually fit into 14s here..." and she goes "If you say so..."

So even though I was slightly offended that she was arguing with me about my clothing size, it kind of felt good to have someone tell me that I in no way looked like I could fit into a plus size.

ETA: I haven't really bought any clothes for a while, so I have no idea what size I actually take right now, though I think I'm at a weird point between a 14 and 16 regular. 16 jeans have some extra inches available in them/fall down a bit when I wear them, but 14s aren't yet flattering.

Replies

• simplysara9
    simplysara9 Posts: 521
    Options
    That is a great NSV.

Have you tried clothes on in the other store recently? Maybe you are at the point that you will fit into the misses rather than the womens.
  • redtrain
    redtrain Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    very cool story....grats:smile:
  • nadia05
    nadia05 Posts: 5
    Options
    That's awesome! Something similar happened to me, only I found out on my own by trying clothes on in the Women's section, and they were too big :)
    Keep up the good work!
  • LuneBleu85
    LuneBleu85 Posts: 217
    Options
    At least you know those "brain directly to mouth" people are telling you the truth! Even if that was a bit forward of her that is still a nice compliment for you :)
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Haha, that is kindof odd but I would have felt awesome if someone said that to me, too :) Way to go!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

I am also in between the 14-16 range, so you can switch-hit, depending on which store has the cuter stuff. Sometimes, plus sizes fit me better, but I do also keep trying on clothes on the other side of the shop. If you see something you like, try it on -- you might be surprised!
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It is like a right of passage on loosing weight when you can fit into misses intead of womens. The inbetween stage is bad when you need some of each. Still a good feeling.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    WTG! Its the best when things like that happen!!! I love when people who BARELY know me at work make comments like, "Have you been sick, your face looks thinner!"
  • WhiteRaven
    WhiteRaven Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Go to the other store, try some clothes on!!!
  • Melinda1987
    Melinda1987 Posts: 130
    Options
    I used to work in the Womens/Misses dept at a JC Penny and have often told women the same thing. If I think they're too small to be in the plus section I'd come over and say "Can I help you find something?" They were usually looking for something for their mother or whatever. However I was NEVER ignorant or rude enough to go up to a big woman and say "Excuse me - you are obviously looking at clothes too small for u."

You should absolutely try on new clothes! You don't have to buy, if you can't afford them, but just to KNOW the progress! :) WTG!! You obviously look MUCH better than u realized! I think most of us don't see our TRUE selves.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!