Salad calories estimation?

Options
Can anyone help me estimate the calories in a large salad? I don't weigh my vegetables but I don't want to start doing that because it makes me very very obsessive. So I'm just looking for a rough estimate.

My salads contain about 4 cups of iceberg lettuce. And probably 1-2 cups of a broccoli cauliflower and carrots medley.

Again I know it can't be perfect but can someone help me with a rough estimate

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Log those amounts into MFP and it'll tell you
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Just weigh it once and then you will have an approximation for all the other times you eat a salad of similar size.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    Just weigh it once and then you will have an approximation for all the other times you eat a salad of similar size.

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »

That's what I did. It was very tedious the first time but now I know.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Just call your bowl full of veggies 150 calories if you don't want to count them. Best off being accurate with the other stuff like avacado, nuts, seeds, cranberries, and of course dressing. It isn't hard to make a 1000 calorie salad.
  • peaceloveabby01
    peaceloveabby01 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't use things like nuts seeds or anything really highly caloric. I do measure out my dressing into a table spoon measuring cup so I got that one right haha. I just don't wanna go crazy with the exact calories
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Can anyone help me estimate the calories in a large salad? I don't weigh my vegetables but I don't want to start doing that because it makes me very very obsessive. So I'm just looking for a rough estimate.

My salads contain about 4 cups of iceberg lettuce. And probably 1-2 cups of a broccoli cauliflower and carrots medley.

roughly 47 calories for 4 cups lettuce, 1/4 cup broccoli, 1/4 cup cauliflower and 1/4 cup carrots. You can go into my recipes and add all your food and it will give you a total on your calories
  • 10inprogress
    10inprogress Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't obsess about the calories in veggies since the error is so negligible. I just always log slightly more. Everything else: yes. But I don't want to live in a mental mind frame where I'm fearful of the calories in vegetables.
  • peaceloveabby01
    peaceloveabby01 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Same for me @10ibprogress
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Same for me @10ibprogress

Same. I try to chop off a TON of veggies and then just log an approximate estimate of the calories. I mean whether my salad is 45 calories or 90 calories worth of veggies is not going to break my day.
    The only things I measure and log are instances in which I use really caloric things like cheese, seeds, dried fruit bc those things add up quick!
    But other than than, I use the "Frequent" list on the food log and add the lettuce, tomatoes, onions, carrots from there (guessing weight) and then move on.

• gs0403
    gs0403 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

You will have to weigh to get accurate results..you can't eyeball things to determine its weight...its hard to give a "rough estimate"...it will take practice but once you get the hang of it it is a no brainer! You won't be "obsessive" by weighing..It will give you better results! Invest in a digital scale...walmart has great ones for a good price.