down 131 pounds but i need more tips :)

Options
djlilcub
djlilcub Posts: 1 Member
My highest weight was 389 and I wanted to do something. I've been loosing an average of 50 lbs a year and kept the weight off. I want to step it up more now that I'm down more weight. I'd love to hear your suggestions

Replies

• southcitystudio
    southcitystudio Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! I'm just beginning my journey, so I don't have any tips, but I wanted to say good job!
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    First of all, great work!!

I think something important for me has been to keep things varied. If I eat tuna and walk everyday, I get bored and my body gets complacent. Find a variety of things you like (some that are easier when you're feeling lazy, some when you don't have much time--this goes for food and exercise) and rotate.

Along the same lines, I go for an average of calories taken in over a week, allowing myself to have a little more on a certain day, a little less on another. I like to look at my week's average and see 1350 calories/day. I might eat 1200 two days, leaving some room if I go to a wedding that weekend. What kept pushing me off track was having these splurges, which I felt like were me failing, and getting down on myself and my progress. This way I can allow for variation of activities, and I think that variety also helps keep my body guessing, not getting too used to what I'm doing and slowing down weight loss.

I hope that helps! I'd love to hear your tips since you've clearly had so much success!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Wow - congratulations on your current success. I found the 5:2 eating plan, where you fast two days a week (can have 500 calories the fast days) and on non fasting days I eat at maintenance. It's made a big difference for me - I'm finally taking off weight again.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Try different foods
    Do different things
    take up a new activity or sport
    I've lost 120lbs and through the process discovered a love of lifting!!
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Wow congrats on such wonderful success.

Psych101 has pretty much nailed what I would suggest - keep on changing and exploring ALL the foods and activities that hold your interest, it may be returning to an sport that you used to enjoy or a completely new one that you have always wanted to try and have held back from trying due to weight issues.

Maybe look into new styles of cooking and exploring vegetarian options, raw foods, ethnic cuisines - the World is your oyster.

I really, really would suggest getting into lifting if you haven't already.....the health benefits and capacity for the body to literally transform itself via lifting is amazing. I look back in regret that I didn't get involved in this aspect earlier and am now paying some heavy dues with brittle bones and lack of strength.

All the Best - and once again you look amazing.
  • CBell223
    CBell223 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Started at 384 and I'm down 136 lbs so far. My loss was really stalled out, but over the last month, I've been eating M-F at a 30% deficit and then the weekends I eat at maintenance. But (and this seems to be key) all the added calories are carbs. No extra protein or fat. In fact, if possible, I lower them to make more room for carbs. My loss has picked back up and I feel better, physically and emotionally. Clearly, you are doing things right, but this is a change that I just made and it is helping me.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss so far! Try to find activities that you love and then exercise won't be a burden.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!