Thinner = happier?

Options
2»

Replies

• arielsinlove
    arielsinlove Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thinner=happier shopping for me :) I'm a pretty happy girl now, but the hissy fit I have when I try on a really cute shirt that just doesn't quite fit will be avoided, and that makes me happy!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    If a person is healthier, and feel confident about their body then they are of course happier. And that for a lot of people means losing weight. I don't think anyone is happy being overweight and unhealthy.

They may not be happy about their weight, but there are plenty of happy larger people.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I think to get seriously overweight in the first place I think you are probably not happy about something. I doubt there are many people who overeat who aren't emotional eaters. So simply getting thinner won't solve the problem, because the problem was the reason they got big in the first place.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    In my experience no. I was very thin as a teenager and very miserable. I've been miserable as a fat person too. I'm happy now and still fat but once I sorted my head and dealt with what was actually making me unhappy I got on with dealing with being healthy.

Lots of people think that it's being fat that makes them unhappy, but how did they get fat in the first place and why? I find that if you dig deeper most people were unhappy first and fat is a symptom, much like thin is a symptom of anorexia.
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    For me, yes it does. My depression only started when I had gained weight, for me fat=depressed, when I was slimmer I was much more outgoing and confident.
  • Tracenspace
    Tracenspace Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    No, but I do know that for me depression causes weight gain. And happiness helps me to lose.
  • hyper588
    hyper588 Posts: 28
    Options
    No one element of your life can make or assure your "happiness". However, being overweight can be a factor which adds to an individual's unhappiness. In many cases, it is hard to stick with a healthy life-style program because the goal seems overwhelming, which begets frustration and eventually a sense of helplessness.

I had bulimia 30 years ago, before it became a household word. At the time, I had no idea why I was behaving that way, but luckily nature took it coarse and I dealt with the stressors that had lead to my unfortunate coping strategy and I returned to normal eating pattern. My awareness about my poor coping strategies (to life's stressers) came 15 years later when another distructive compulsion surfaced.

I have SLE Lupus, with major depression being one of my lead flare symptoms. For me depression and unhappiness are not the same thing. Depression is a medical symptom that has to be addressed with medication, just like the Lupus rash, protein in urine, arthritis, et al.

Unhappiness, on the other hand, takes internal exercises--to form and maintain a positive frame of mind. I like to keep a list of affirmations that I review once or twice a day. Relationship with a higher power. Love keeping a gratitude and accomplishment journal.