Do you do Carb Cycling?

Options
lavrn03
lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
Someone recently mentioned carb cycling and I started looking it up. It sounds interesting. I recently lost 50 lbs from eating well and exercising. It took me a year, this 6/24. Does anyone know more about this? I'd like to hear what my fellow MFP think about it.
I see different options about how much and when to do low, no or high carbs.
I'd like to try it for the my last 15-20 lbs I need to lose. Need advice:

I'm 39
5'7.5
CW-180lbs
GW-160lbs
Very active- at least 30 mins of cardio 6x a week, 3 days of push/pull/legs strength training routine, also started running ( goal is to do a 5K by the end of the summer). I estimate 1800 cals burned a week, conservatively. I use a fitbit surge when I workout.
I started using MRM All Natural Whey protein shake (love it) to help with getting more protein in.
I do my strength training MWF with 30 cardio after. T Th Sat or Sun do 45 cardio- elliptical, bike, or run.
I'm a nurse too so I work long hours in a very intense unit so I need to be on my game and sometimes tough eating at all never mind every 3 hrs.
Anyway need some advice

Replies

• saeich
    saeich Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have done it and lost weight without exercising. I followed Chris Powell's book on carb cycling.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I have carb cycled during comp prep...

I keep protein and fat numbers consistent every day, but change carbs. Non weight training days would be "low" days, all other days would be "normal" with the exception of one that would be a "high" day.

I would normally have 2 low days, and the carb difference between low and normal would be added to the high day so overall my calories for the week were averaging out. ie. Normal days 150g carbs, low days 100g carbs, high day would be 250g carbs (normal day + 2 low days carb deficit). These numbers are just an example.... It can be whatever you like!

Some people make carbs on "high days" even higher by limiting fat and using the calories towards more carbs, but I didn't do this.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat every 3 hours if that doesn't work for you - you may want to consider trying to time carbs around your training to help with energy/recovery, but otherwise, eat when suits your schedule.
  • lavrn03
    Options
    Thanks. I bought Chris powells book. I'm liking what I'm reading so far.
  • carlknight1983
    carlknight1983 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm carb cycling at the mo to lose the sticky fat around my lower abs. It is hard to workout sometimes due to lack of energy but thank god for caffeine lol
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Carb cycle here too (mainly during comp prep but I'm running a cycle now during my off season) . It's a tool just like any other diet protocol and when used appropriately is very effective.

• lavrn03
    Options
    Thanks