Can exercising in the morning really give you energy throughout the day?

Options
For as long as I can remember, by midday I always feel like i need a nap.

Do you think/find that exercising in the morning will give me the energy i need throughout the day? I am not at all a morning person.. is it really worth getting up an hour and a half earlier just to get to the gym?

I know diet has a lot to do with it and I have been eating somewhat better.

Replies

• cmyers028
    cmyers028 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've always been told flip the American way make your big meal of the day breakfast and you'll have energy all day
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I think it varies from person to person. I tried working out in the morning before work a few times, and I'd always have a ton of energy for the first few hours afterwards, but by noon, I was exhausted. Maybe tweaking my diet would change that, but I honestly don't care enough to try. I work out after work, and that works great for me, so I don't worry about it too much. :)
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I find I have the most energy when I first get up, whenever that is. I am a night owl, not a morning person. But if I try to do high intensity after work, I just don't have energy for it so its best o get it done for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    For as long as I can remember, by midday I always feel like i need a nap.

Do you think/find that exercising in the morning will give me the energy i need throughout the day? I am not at all a morning person.. is it really worth getting up an hour and a half earlier just to get to the gym?

I know diet has a lot to do with it and I have been eating somewhat better.
    What time do you go to sleep and for how long?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    For an exercise routine, consistency is king. If getting up earlier is going to make you not want to keep working out, don't. You'll get energy from exercise. Time of day isn't going to have huge effects.
  • daniebanks
    daniebanks Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I *never* used to be a morning person.. I got into a habit of going to the gym in the morning before work, now I would much rather get up early than sleep in, I find it wakes you up alot more, gets you more motivated throughout the day :smile: just feel better in general.
  • fishcat123
    fishcat123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Personally, I always feel tired and burnt out around 4-5 pm, and exercising then helps me perk up. Maybe try exercising (even just taking a walk) when you feel tired if your schedule allows?
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I have developed a routine of morning low intensity cardio to burn off a couple hundred calories daily.

I like my coffee and wake up time.

It also keeps my weight loss moving forward !

• Bevkristen
    Bevkristen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Actually i feel tired fter working out in the morning. But if i work out when i feel sleepy, it make.me feel much energetic. Work out when u feel tired and lazy, it will help u get more energy.Best of luck.
  • matuskap
    matuskap Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    For me, it "uplifts" my energy when im tired, but training in the morning makes me tired later in the day in the first place so ... :smiley: training later in the day for me.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I like exercising in the morning, but due to work, children etc it's not always possible. I can probably do a more effective workout at 8am, than at 4pm after being at work all day.

I have more energy from working out in general, otherwise there's no way I'd cope with a 13 month old who wakes in the night, working 3 days a week, and 2 other children. I do think more sleep would give me more energy though! No amount of exercise can make up for lack of sleep!
  • coachjschroth
    coachjschroth Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Theoretically yes. Exercise releases endorphins like serotonin, epinephrine and nor-epinephrine, BDNF etc. and these are your feel good hormones. Effects vary among individuals so by all means give it a shot. You may find that morning workout just might give you energy to attack the day.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It did for me :smiley: I started getting up at 6.30am 3 years ago to make an effort to workout and I still do, theres no better way to start my day and I find I basically hop, skip and jump into work :smiley: my energy levels are through the roof and I no longer feel tired.

(I have always been a morning person though!..well I am, after I've eaten my eggs lol)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    your energy levels depend on more than just what time you exercise. it depends on the food you eat, and the amount you sleep at night. most people do not get the recommended amount of sleep at night- about 8 hours.

try to avoid tv an hour before bed, and alcohol too. and avoid caffeine and sugary drinks late in the day to help you sleep better.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own optimal time for working out. I'm an evening gym rat but my husband is a 4am gym guy (personally I would rather stick pins in my eyes than work out when I first get up). It's all about what works best with your lifestyle and how you feel.

The dip in energy you're experiencing probably has more to do with your sleep quality and your diet.

As to your question is it worth it to get early to go the gym.... only you can answer that.