Cut carbs out completely on my cut? Or below 50g? Cheeeers

Options
Cut out carbs completely on my cut or keep it under 50g for the fastest shred?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Neither particularly.

Just eat at a calorie deficit; make sure you get sufficient protein and fat, and fill the rest with whatever.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If you want to deplete glycogen/water weight, then you can reduce carbs but outside of personal diet preference, there is no benefit to cutting carbs during a cut.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    If you want to deplete glycogen/water weight, then you can reduce carbs but outside of personal diet preference, there is no benefit to cutting carbs during a cut.

Wrong! There are most definately other ways to do it and it depends on how the body responds to the diet protocol in place but going into keto or applying carb cycling is very effective for reducing body fat to low levels.

OP attempting to do a fast shred isn't the way to go. The loss of lean mass and impact on your metabolism isn't worth it. Shred slowly, keep the buff and a healthy metabolism. You need to diet slowly and jumping straight into carb depletion at the start will leave you no where to go further on down the line.
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I think you may have to some trial and error to find what works best for you. For example, for my sister, if she just cuts out `starchy`food like bread and potatoes, she can shed a lot of weight quickly. However, for me, I don`t see quick results unless I go very-low carb. Meaning under 20 grams per day. I have to eat very few carbs to get my body into ketosis. However it is different for others!

Another thing to add - if you`re trying to get to ketosis, you can get `keto sticks`that will tell you if you are in ketosis. Just know that the sticks are less accurate than blood monitoring.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    unless you have a medical condition there is no difference in rate of fat loss between a diet with carbs and one without carbs if both diets have the same caloric deficit

• psuLemon
    Options

Wrong! There are most definately other ways to do it and it depends on how the body responds to the diet protocol in place but going into keto or applying carb cycling is very effective for reducing body fat to low levels.

OP attempting to do a fast shred isn't the way to go. The loss of lean mass and impact on your metabolism isn't worth it. Shred slowly, keep the buff and a healthy metabolism. You need to diet slowly and jumping straight into carb depletion at the start will leave you no where to go further on down the line.

What are you even talking about? Your calorie deficit will determine fat loss. Your macros and training will determine where your lose weight from. Going low carb or keto will not increase fat loss as compared to other diets. It will deplete glycogen though.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Why is everyone bringing keto into the discussion? OP said nothing about keto
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    In
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I don't understand the problem. There was only one mention of "keto". Keto is just a type of low carb diet.
    What are you even talking about? Your calorie deficit will determine fat loss. Your macros and training will determine where your lose weight from. Going low carb or keto will not increase fat loss as compared to other diets. It will deplete glycogen though.
    The others were referring to ketosis, a state in which the body is burning fat for fuel instead of glycogen. It happens when one eats very few carbs for a period of time and is considered a desirable state for those doing so.
  • sweetsarahj
    Options

Ketosis is when your body burns fat for fuel instead of glycogen. It is what happens when you don't eat carbs. Therefore it's relevant.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Ketosis is when your body burns fat for fuel instead of glycogen. It is what happens when you don't eat carbs. Therefore it's relevant.

Your body burns fat just fine without being in ketosis.
  • psuLemon
    edited June 2015
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

Exactly my point. Going low carb or keto will not increase fat loss during a cut. It might affect satiety or energy but not fat loss.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

What does your body burn for fuel when you do eat carbs and aren't in ketosis?
  • Mr_Frawstie
    Mr_Frawstie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Its hard to cut to 0 carbs totally, even if u try they're hidden almost everywhere. Have u tried keeping carbs around 100g and upping the fat?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Neither particularly.

Just eat at a calorie deficit; make sure you get sufficient protein and fat, and fill the rest with whatever.

This. Making sure you have sufficient protien and fat is important.... The level of carbs is dictated by whatever calories are left.
  • jaketaylor1391
    jaketaylor1391 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Carbs= strength you cut all your carbs gl trying to bench the bar when your cut is over.
  • sweetsarahj
    Options

What does your body burn for fuel when you do eat carbs and aren't in ketosis?

Carbs are converted to glycogen. Excess glycogen is converted to fat. It's not a bad thing, and ketosis is not the only way to cut or diet, but it is one that people choose for their own reasons.
  • sweetsarahj
    Options

Of course it does. OP was asking about going very low-carb, which some people choose to do for fat loss. Others choose to focus on cutting calories. Others still choose to eat the same and exercise more. All of these methods work, you do what works for you and I'll do what works for me.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Of course it does. OP was asking about going very low-carb, which some people choose to do for fat loss. Others choose to focus on cutting calories. Others still choose to eat the same and exercise more. All of these methods work, you do what works for you and I'll do what works for me.

Based on the OPs post, it appears he assumes low carb is the most effective way to cut. The rest of us were correcting that bit of misinformation. Now if he prefers to do a low carb cut for diet preference than by all means. But in terms of semantics, low carb does not increase fat loss over any other diet style and with some its not an effective tools.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    psuLemon wrote:

Your calorie deficit will determine overall WEIGHT LOSE and that weight can come from anywhere including lean mass. You cannot spot reduce or select which areas lose fat using diet or training, that is down to genetics. And I didn't say it will increase fat loss over other diets I said it can be a very effective tool ( especially if you aim to get into very low body fat percentages which admittedly is not most people's goal). Yes it will deplete glycogen....... Not to state the obvious but I will anyway ....... That is the aim.