New to protein shakes

I'm in grad school so I can't spend a ton of money, but would love some recommendations of good brands/flavors?

Where are the cheapest places to buy?

Thank you!!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    If you don't have a ton of money to spend... why on earth would you buy a protein shake?

Buy some bulk chicken. More nutritional value than a protein shake.
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Best Low Cost Protein powder I have found is Designer Whey CHocolate. Be warned though it has Sugar Alcohols, and for some people that can hurt their stomach. YOu can get a 25 serving can from most grocery stories for $15.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    edited June 2015
    I had a blonde moment :smiley:
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Eat what you always do, only less.

What does that have to do with protein shakes?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Well, this got posted in the wrong thread, BUT.....OP, are you not getting sufficient protein?
  • jaketaylor1391
    jaketaylor1391 Posts: 29 Member
    Walmart whey protein is 15 bucks recommend chocolate peanut butter, but you need to realize the cheeper the protein the lower in quality. I use isopure which is 60 dollars but isnt loaded with bs while Walmart whey may not be 100% what they say it is. If possible stick which high protein foods only use supplements for things you cant easily get from food aka creatine.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    If you don't have a ton of money to spend... why on earth would you buy a protein shake?

Buy some bulk chicken. More nutritional value than a protein shake.

Because per gram of protein, powder IS the cheapest source.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member
    What are you looking to use them for?
  • megginanderson
    megginanderson Posts: 276 Member
    kdaveyyy wrote: »
    I'm in grad school so I can't spend a ton of money, but would love some recommendations of good brands/flavors?

Thank you!!

I think it depends on what you are looking for and why? What do you hope to get out of drinking a shake?
  • megginanderson
    megginanderson Posts: 276 Member

Thank you!!

Also, remember that cheap is not going to be better. Honestly the cheapest ones are filled with chemicals and additives so you are just better off eating food.
  • kdaveyyy
    kdaveyyy Posts: 5 Member
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Well, this got posted in the wrong thread, BUT.....OP, are you not getting sufficient protein?

Not as much as I'd like and I'm trying to lose weight
  • kdaveyyy

Losing weight. Been working out a lot more
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member

Losing weight. Been working out a lot more

Protein powders don't help you lose weight. They contain calories too, and sometimes significant amount. What you should use them for is to supplement protein in your diet - protein is important for retaining muscle, and you should always aim to get enough each day. But drinking protein shakes will not burn fat. They may keep you full longer or be a lower calorie alternative to other choices, but ultimately eating a calorie deficit is what will make you lose weight.
  • kdaveyyy

Thank you!!

I think it depends on what you are looking for and why? What do you hope to get out of drinking a shake?

Losing weight. Been working out more and trying to feel fuller longer.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member

Thank you!!

Losing weight. Been working out more and trying to feel fuller longer.

Protein shakes don't make you lose weight. They're just a more convenient source of protein. MyProtein has some pretty cheap protein, but I'm not sure if they are in the US.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Protein shakes can help you loose weight.... at least they have helped me. I have one in the morning mixed with my coffee and it keeps me full until lunch time. Before I added the protein shake I would be starving all morning and end up eating more calories than I wanted.
  • Hvngfaith88
    Hvngfaith88 Posts: 147 Member
    I like the convience of premade shakes. I can drink them on the go, I keep them in the fridge at work. EAS advantedge, I'm watching my carbs and it has 2.5g, 100 calories and 17 g protein. about $5 for a pack of 4 at walmart
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Well, to keep me full until lunch I would typically have an egg and veggie wrap, or oatmeal, or a peanut butter and banana wrap, then later on some fruit such as watermelon or berries, and then a bar such as Kind or quest and still hungry by lunch time. I don't know why food doesn't fill me up in the mornings. Whatever the reason it was too many calories and plus that I hate eating at my desk. My protein shakes area total of 190 calories. I split it into two cups having one early morning and one mid morning. For now this seems to be working for me.