haven't lost weight :(

Options
Help! 2 weeks ago i decided to lose weight and actually stick to it. Im desperate to lose and am getting really discouraged at this point.

I've been sticking to about 1000 calories/day and following the Insanity workouts.

My weight is at 239 and my BMI is 39....i was so sure cutting my calories and starting to exercise would jumpstart my weight loss since my body is not used to it what am i doing wrong?!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Most likely it's water weight from Insanity. You should be able to eat more, though...1000 is too low for a female if you're 100% accurate in your logging (i.e. using a scale to weigh food/cups to measure liquids, and logging everything that enters your mouth).
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    1000 calories isn't healthy, especially for someone of your size. 1200 is the RDA minimum for a female.

You can't jump start your weight loss, you either lose weight or you don't.
    • Are you measuring your foods with an electric scale?
    • Are you measuring your foods accurately? i.e. using grams instead of cups
    • How are you obtaining your calorie burns? MFP or HRM?

I will repeat what I just said. 1000 calories isn't healthy, especially for someone of your size. It seems you weren't so sure on cutting your calories at all.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I forget who made this chart, but it's really nice and you should go through it.

6efmtgkhtoft.jpg
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    I forget who made this chart, but it's really nice and you should go through it.

6efmtgkhtoft.jpg

It was @lemonlionheart
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's only been a couple of weeks and you've started an intense exercise program, so it's normal to see a stall while your body hoards some excess fluid to help cushion and repair those sore muscles.

Other than that, the most common problems we see come from underestimating calories eaten and overestimating calories burned.

Opening your diary might help to get you more specific advice if you're comfortable doing so.

You're logging everything you eat? Including condiments, cooking oils, veggies, cheat days, etc? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by several hundred calories when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is going to be the most accurate.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

6efmtgkhtoft.jpg

It was @lemonlionheart

Thanks!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

6efmtgkhtoft.jpg

It was @lemonlionheart

Thanks!

It really just needs emailed to all new users of MFP and those who log using non scale measurements...
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Great news.. The insanity workouts are pretty intense so for the first 2 or 3 weeks of insanity it is totally expected to have your muscles sore, inflamed and retaining fluid as they build and recover. Give it a few more days. If you continue to eat less than you burn you'll see results. Get ou your tape measure.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Help! 2 weeks ago i decided to lose weight and actually stick to it. Im desperate to lose and am getting really discouraged at this point.

I've been sticking to about 1000 calories/day and following the Insanity workouts.

My weight is at 239 and my BMI is 39....i was so sure cutting my calories and starting to exercise would jumpstart my weight loss since my body is not used to it what am i doing wrong?!

A BMR of 39 does not exist. A 25-year old woman, your weight and 5?6" tall should have a BMR of around 1800 or thereabouts.
    Maybe you need to check out all those things and do correct calculations.
    Also weight loss cannot be jump started.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »

A BMR of 39 does not exist. A 25-year old woman, your weight and 5?6" tall should have a BMR of around 1800 or thereabouts.
    Maybe you need to check out all those things and do correct calculations.
    Also weight loss cannot be jump started.

Check the post again. A BMI of 39 is absolutely possible. You've confused Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate.

• andreamulhall
    andreamulhall Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am also on week two of insanity and I havnt lost any weight. I'm sure it's only water weight and as I progress with the workout the changes will come , I am eating 1450 calories a day , 1000 can't be enough .
  • mommadearest3
    mommadearest3 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I will go up to 1200 calories a day. I know the recommended amount i just feel fine on 1000 but hopefully 1200 will help.

I use an electric scale most of the time, and haven't been using condiments other than hot sauce which is super low cal anyway.

I really hope everyone is right about the water retention and whatnot. Its so discouraging to try so hard and not see any results.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Instead of using the scale as your weigh of measuring your success try some other things that can be super motivating when the scale doesn't budge or moves up. For example, a before picture to compare with monthly pictures to showcase the changes, measuring your inches each month to see how many issues you lose over several months (a major motivator for me when I am struggling), the way your clothes fit or having to buy smaller clothes, and improved fitness. I have found that setting fitness goals and reaching them is great motivator to keep exercising and eating right.

Good luck in your journey!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to get a sticky where it says

" give it more than one or two weeks"

Too many people want instant results and seem
    To get discouraged or freak out when they haven't lost in the first week or three.

With a 39 bmi can't the op eat more than 1200 and still lose weight? Or am I wrong?
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    I will go up to 1200 calories a day. I know the recommended amount i just feel fine on 1000 but hopefully 1200 will help.

I use an electric scale most of the time, and haven't been using condiments other than hot sauce which is super low cal anyway.

I really hope everyone is right about the water retention and whatnot. Its so discouraging to try so hard and not see any results.

Doesn't matter if you feel fine on 1000 calories. There's a reason why its called a RDA minimum. By eating 1000 calories, your body isn't getting enough energy that it needs. You won't be getting enough micronutrients, which has a plethora of side effects.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Is it possible to get a sticky where it says

" give it more than one or two weeks"

Too many people want instant results and seem
    To get discouraged or freak out when they haven't lost in the first week or three.

With a 39 bmi can't the op eat more than 1200 and still lose weight? Or am I wrong?

You are correct. She could have a far less aggressive deficit and still lose weight. I'm not going to use a TDEE calc to figure it out (its 02:20 lol). But I reckon a caloric target of 1800 would be fine.

• mommadearest3
    mommadearest3 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I wasn't expecting to lose a large amount, but at least a pound or 2 after significant diet changes.

I haven't noticed a difference in how clothes fit either. I haven't taken any measurements but will start doing that and hopefully see some progress in that regard. I understand that there are other benefits (fitness and health) but of course i also want that darn scale to go down!

I will wait it out....thanks
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I wasn't expecting to lose a large amount, but at least a pound or 2 after significant diet changes.

I haven't noticed a difference in how clothes fit either. I haven't taken any measurements but will start doing that and hopefully see some progress in that regard. I understand that there are other benefits (fitness and health) but of course i also want that darn scale to go down!

I will wait it out....thanks

Take some measurements, waist, neck arms legs etc.

So in a years time you can see just how far you have come.
  • jaketaylor1391
    jaketaylor1391 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Biggest tip i have to you that those colorful charts havent told you is that never ever ever ever ever look at those tv or youtube transformations. The thirty day lost 50lb is bs, fat loss is a long process, if you look up elliot hulse he will tell you (on youtube) dont think weeks or months think years. It may seem far away but if you were to get discouraged and you ended up quitting a year from now your gunna regret that you did.