Hands swell during/after exercising...

Options
I have been exercising 5 times a week for the past two months (since joining MFP). I have noticed that while I am exercising my hands start to swell a bit. By the time I am done with the workout they are very tight and very stiff to move. It doesn't last long (maybe and hour or so) but it is an uncomfortable feeling. Does anyone else have this problem? Is this normal or something I should be looking into in more detail? Any insight to this would be great!

Replies

• KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a blood pressure check my hands do that when mine gets high.
  • Erica1965
    Erica1965 Posts: 36
    Options
    YES!!! Mine do that too! I have alway had normal blood pressure. Had it checked fairly recently. If you find out what is the cause, please share it with me!
  • shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I get that sometimes when I run and it is hot and humid :( My fingers get red and look like sausages! It's the only time my engagement ring fits me. LOL
    PS I also have always had nomal blood presure but my circulation sucks (can't even hold my arms up for more than 30 seconds and they go tingly and numb)
  • Kimber1012001
    Kimber1012001 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    hi there,

unfortunately i don't have an answer to ure question but i have noticed this happens to me too... i predict it might be 1 of 2 things which might offer insight for your situation:

1. i have poor circulation in my hands and feet and exercising is the only time where they get bright bright red from extra blood actually getting to the extremities lol, i think it's this extra blood flowing that might be swelling them up too

2. often when i use the elliptical or something where i am moving handles or like keeping small fists when walking, i am actually hold on tighter than necessary... hehe

hope this helps- i'm curious to see other opinions about this :)
  • shirleycottrell
    shirleycottrell Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have found it happens when getting too much sodium. Sodium has a big effect on being able to loose weight for me.
  • shalynna89
    shalynna89 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Mine do it too, for me it usually tells me I'm dehydrated a bit. Usually if I drink alot during my exercise or right after it goes away.
  • RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    That happens to my feet... and I have normal blood pressure.
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    pretty normal for your hands to swell exercise
  • Erica1965
    Erica1965 Posts: 36
    Options
    Do a Google search, I just did. Tons of info! I just found out it's fairly normal. :) Not to worry.
  • KIMBELKOWSKI
    KIMBELKOWSKI Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Do a Google search, I just did. Tons of info! I just found out it's fairly normal. :) Not to worry.

Thanks! I'll go our there now and take a look!!!
  • vold94
    vold94 Posts: 256
    Options
    I use to notice this especially if I was taking a walk, that my fingers would swell. But lately since I have increased my water consumption to a gallon or more a day, I don't notice it as much anymore. Not sure if it was a sodium/water issue or what, but perhaps if you try drinking more water, the issue might work itself out. Good luck!