Probiotics help with weight loss?

Options
I have been doing some reading and a bit of conversing with a holistic gastroenterologist about the role that probiotics play in weight loss. There is a lot of info out there on the subject. Next week or the week after, I will be starting on some high potency probiotics to see if it helps me out at all.

Have any of you noticed any difference in your weight loss while taking probiotics? Has it helped? I know they are great for balancing out the good bacteria in the gut, but I didn't know it would affect weight loss.

Replies

• ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    what is considered high potency probiotics? and in what form are you taking them? I just started to take pill this week, I'm hoping it will help with constipation and if it helps with weight loss, even better :bigsmile:
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Anything that aids digestion is a good thing, it will help with vitamin/protein/good fat uptake for the body, it will directly trigger fat loss per say but it will help with those aspects which usually aid in fat loss. I take one daily and it helps me greatly with digestion.
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I take nature made multi enzyme formula probiotics from walmart and havent noticed a difference in weight loss from that.....I also hadnt been looking for them to. I use them to help me digest food better:))
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    Please take care probiotiics in special coating that pass through your stomach and break down in your intestine, otherwise, they are pointless. I take probiotics offered by foreverliving.com and have noticed weight coming off, nails and skin and hair looking better. So I think they are definitely a positive supplement for anyone's diet/lifestyle.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    what is considered high potency probiotics? and in what form are you taking them? I just started to take pill this week, I'm hoping it will help with constipation and if it helps with weight loss, even better :bigsmile:

I will be taking 200 billion active cultures in powder form once a day for about a month, then I'll probably continue taking 5 billion in pill form for the indefinite long-term. The powder is called Advanced Naturals Ultimate FloraMax "Super Critical" - good name for it, huh? Ha ha!
  • porcelain_doll
    Options
    Please take care probiotiics in special coating that pass through your stomach and break down in your intestine, otherwise, they are pointless.

Wow, I've never heard this. Do you remember where you heard this? Just curious, esp. since the doctor is the one who recommended the powder and seems to get great results with it from his patients.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    200 billion!!! wow! the ones I take say they are 2 billion each and I take two. Anyone know if the Trader Joes probiotic tablets are any good?
  • porcelain_doll
    Options
    200 billion!!! wow! the ones I take say they are 2 billion each and I take two. Anyone know if the Trader Joes probiotic tablets are any good?
    It's a lot but I'll only be doing the 200 billion for about a month. The 2 billion is probably fine for daily maintenance. I was taking the Whole Foods brand for a while. I forget what the number was, but it was fairly low.
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/probiotics.htm

Selecting a good probiotics supplement

The single most important thing you need to remember, is that even if all probiotics products contain what they promise on the label (and it appears that, according to clinical tests, many do not), only those probiotics which have a special coating to protect them as they pass through the stomach and small intestine will really hit the spot.

This is because the stomach is a sterile and acidic environment and has been designed to kill off bugs - the good ones along with the bad. And if the good bugs cannot get to the large colon - that part of the intestine where they are most needed - then you will not get the full benefit.

One way around this problem is to make tablets that are “enteric-coated.” This means the tablets are coated with a special protective layer to ensure the microbes will survive en route through the stomach and will get to the lower part of the intestine. This is where levels of existing bacteria, good and bad, are at their highest.

So, if you plan to take a probiotic, buy smart and buy one that has been “enteric” coated.
  • quanta
    quanta Posts: 28
    Options
    I take Sustenex and it has completely cured my digestive problems. I'm not bloated anymore, my nightly painful foot cramps have disappeared and I lost 3 lbs without trying. Yogurt didn't help me at all. Sustenex is designed to protect the bacteria until it reaches the intestine. I take one pill every other day. I feel great for the first time in years.
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    great ifo thx!!!