How to stay within 200 Kcal limit?

Options
Hi all,

I'm not new to my fitness pal as such, but I don't think I've posted before, and it's been a year (or more!) since I've attempted to use it.

I had a baby 8 months ago, and now desperately want to lose the excess weight I'm carrying. I joined weightwatchers in March, but didn't really stick to it. I really want to find a healthier way of eating (and living generally!), that is sustainable, rather than going on a crash diet.

I wondered if anyone could give me examples of the types of things you eat in the day, which allow you to stay within a 1200 calorie limit. This is what MFP recommends for me based on my goals, however, it seems low to me, and today I've already had approx. 800Kcals, and I'm still hungry with most of the day to go. Are there better foods I could be eating, which would fill me up more? I have tried in the past to eat say a salad for lunch, but I always find I get hungry again quite quickly! Am I just greedy? Is this psychological? Or is it something that I just have to get used to?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

L x

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    If it is too low for you, you might want to change your goals to losing 1 lb a week and see if that gives you a few more calories. I do 1200 a day and eat very plain food mostly lean proteins, vegetables and fruit.

Breakfast: Coffee with creamer 100 calories (can't give it up!) and 100-200 calories worth of protein (Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, or whatever)

Mid morning: Fruit of some sort...apples seem to be the most filling but I love summer fruit! (about 100 calories)

Lunch: lean protein and veggies (typically chicken breast and cut up cucumbers or celery) About 200 calories

Dinner: Protein, veggies, maybe whole grain...yesterday was chicken, 1/2 of a sweet potato with mushrooms on it (around 400 calories)

that leaves me around 300 calories for more snacks, bigger portions, or whatever I need. sometimes it is a snack bar before or after the gym, sometimes it is chocolate, sometimes more fruit or a salad, occasionally it's a beer or a glass of wine.

I find that extra calories live in sauces, casseroles, and foods that are prepped elsewhere...keep it simple and it is very doable!

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    lorz83 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm not new to my fitness pal as such, but I don't think I've posted before, and it's been a year (or more!) since I've attempted to use it.

I had a baby 8 months ago, and now desperately want to lose the excess weight I'm carrying. I joined weightwatchers in March, but didn't really stick to it. I really want to find a healthier way of eating (and living generally!), that is sustainable, rather than going on a crash diet.

I wondered if anyone could give me examples of the types of things you eat in the day, which allow you to stay within a 1200 calorie limit. This is what MFP recommends for me based on my goals, however, it seems low to me, and today I've already had approx. 800Kcals, and I'm still hungry with most of the day to go. Are there better foods I could be eating, which would fill me up more? I have tried in the past to eat say a salad for lunch, but I always find I get hungry again quite quickly! Am I just greedy? Is this psychological? Or is it something that I just have to get used to?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

L x

It is low, it's the lowest it will allow and is based on what you've said your activity level is and your weight loss goal per week
    When you exercise you get to eat those cals too

I bet you told it sedentary and 2lb week

So what's your height and weight and how much do you want to lose?
    And how much exercise will you do daily?
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You aren't greedy, and you don't have to get used to it. In terms of just plain old weightloss a calorie is a calorie. However in terms of how you feel after eating those calories, all foods are not created equal.
    Many studies have show foods high in fiber and protein will get you through your day better than foods that are made with white flour and sugar. Foods made with highly refined ingredients tend to lack fiber that helps you feel full, and thus you end up feeling hungry faster.

Nutrient content isn't the only thing that makes a difference, so does how often you eat. I eat every 2.5 - 3 hours. Some times i have full` rounded out meals, other times its just a piece of fruit... I eat 1370 calories/day.
    Here's a list of the foods keep on hand to fill in my diet of other stuff.

Carrot Sticks, low calorie and very filling
    Seeds Nuts, Super Dense in Calories but full of fiber, 5 to 10 whole cashew or almonds will make you feel full.
    Apples - Not sure what is so magically about the apple, but eating one tends to keep me full a long long time.
    Cheese Sticks, just a little fat. I cheat and buy the string cheese so I don't need to weight these out.

Finally, 1200 calories isn't a lot. MFP likes to set that low especially if you put that you want to lose 2lbs/week. At best you want to lose a 1lb to .5lb a week. Slower weight loss means you will likely keep it off.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I just looked at today in your diary and noticed you were pretty low fat. Protein, fats and fiber generally help people feel more satisfied. You might try having less fat free products.
    Your goal may be too agressive. 1200 is the minimum recommended amount and a difficult level to start out. Maybe reduce the amount you want to lose each week until the number is more reasonable for you.
    My goal is 1270. I find it helpful to pre-log my whole day. If you do that you might find it easier to make sure you do not run out of calories halfway through your day as well as choosing foods that fit your other goals.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Good GOD, I saw the title of this thread and nearly had a heart attack for you :p

But yes, I would suggest as others have, baby steps. I notice it can only take a couple of days of 'over eating' before my body expects that to be the norm, and sticking to my calories the next day can be difficult. Don't rush it or force it :)
  • Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Breakfast - 100g yoghurt, 45g granola and some berries - (around 300 calories)

Snack - Pot of Fruit (about 100 calories)

Lunch - Ryvita Crackerbreads topped with something like tuna mayo and cucumber / ham, dairylea & cucumber or Philadelphia and chicken. Or a salad (eg tuna & Edamane bean or chicken and avocado) or a soup, leftovers such as stew, sometimes just a sandwich. 200-350 calories.

Snack - Yoghurt (80-100 calories)

Dinner - 400-600 calories depending on what I've eaten in the day. Stir fry, lentil bolognese with a small portion of pasta, tuna steak with roasted veggies, steak rocket and Parmesan salad, stew with polenta, fish with kale crisps and sweet potato, sausages with Butterbeans and veggies. I have no real limitations here, I just Pre-log and make the day work around what I fancy for dinner, keeping in mind portions on higher calorie things - obviously you get far more veggies for your calories.

You can also eat back some of your exercise calories :) Most eat back about half as mfp tends to over estimate
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    MFP does not make it very clear that the "limit" they set is EXCLUSIVE of exercise. It expects you to log exercise and "earn" more calories. You would only eat 1200 if you sat on your butt the ENTIRE day and did nothing (i.e. no housework, exercise, walking, etc.). And combine that with most people putting in 2 pounds a week (even if not appropriate) and sedentary (when most are not), you get 1200 calories...

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    MFP does not make it very clear that the "limit" they set is EXCLUSIVE of exercise. It expects you to log exercise and "earn" more calories. You would only eat 1200 if you sat on your butt the ENTIRE day and did nothing (i.e. no housework, exercise, walking, etc.). And combine that with most people putting in 2 pounds a week (even if not appropriate) and sedentary (when most are not), you get 1200 calories...

That's not correct only purposeful exercise is excluded

Housework, walking is included in your activity level

Doing nothing is BMR ...there is a multiple applied based on your standard activity level that accounts for general activity
  • lorz83
    lorz83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for so many replies. It really helps to have an idea of what other people are eating.

You're all right, I did say I wanted to lose 2lbs per week and that I was only lightly active. I've altered my goals to aim for 1lb a week loss. I guess it's more achievable if I reduce my calorie intake over a week or 2 (or 3!), rather than going cold turkey. I haven't been doing any formal exercise (massive respect to those with wee babies who find the time and the energy!). My plan is to walk more with the buggy (3 miles per day is my aim), and go to 2 exercise classes twice a week in the evening.

Thanks again for the advice!

L x
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hi lovely, 9 months on 9 months off so a good time out baby to get yourself on it.

I'm also on 1200 as I'm short and sedentary. But I do exercise (dog walks and my exercise bike and various stretches like plank) and eat back those calories. So if I allegedly burn off 200 cal in a half hour I'll consume 200 cal more that day. I don't go hungry, I eat "normal" (for us) meals with my family, it's more about keeping booze and snacks in check for me.

I've had a bad fortnight (mainly booze tipping me over) so got to get back on it now. You can check my diary out as it's open but I'd skip back and ignore the most recent 2 weeks!

This is what a day might look like for me:
    Breakfast - tea and a smoothie (banana + berries + greens + water) OR 2 eggs (scrambled, fried etc) with tomatoes and mushrooms.
    Dinner: very varied - soup / salad (always with protein and fat) / leftovers (weighed out and with carb+protein+veg) / omelette / something on toast like tinned sardines/baked beans.
    Tea: something like spaghetti bolognaise / shepherds pie / curry from scratch & rice / quorn chicken stir fry & noodles / lamb kebabs & Cous Cous. Got to have protein, carbs and veggies. And fat. Tastes better so I'm happier. Also better for skin, hair and nails apparently but for me I'd rather a smaller portion of buttery potatoes than a massive portion of dry fat-free potatoes.
    Snack: small gingerbread man / glass of white wine / gin and tonic
    Exercise: half hour on bike while watching telly, half hour dog walk

Eat food that you like and log it all. Best thing for me is not going low fat. Full fat to me tastes better! I want Olive oil in my salad, butter on my toast and thick creamy dairy products! Stay in the cals and you still lose. I've messed up this past week or so (holidays!) but have been doing this for about 90 days now and have lost over a stone (11st 2lb to 10st, aiming for 9st) Still going and I love MFP because 1. It's free! 2. It's flexible 3. It's long term not quick fix 4. Community boards and friends have been so supportive.

Good luck and stick with it. X
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise. I push my 2 (2.5 years and 12 months) around everywhere (except when I'm carrying one in the ergo! A favourite with my toddler unfortunately) and get heaps of exercise that way. I started back at the gym when #2 was about 9 months, and only go 3 times a week (2 times during the week with the kids in the gym crèche) and it's so lovely having that mummy only time. I have so much more energy on my gym days, and I'm sleeping better too (when #2 lets me).

When I started on here about 2.5 months ago I did fifteen hundred, which did not go well. I'm still nursing #2, so with three hundred for feeding I was kinda at twelve hundred. Moody, tired, miserable! I went up to seventeen hundred and haven't looked back. Have hit my first goal, my before pregnancies weight, and am gonna keep going for a few more vanity kgs!

You'll do great! Ease yourself into it and enjoy the results :smile:
  • lorz83
    Options
    Thanks ladies, I just saw that you'd replied. I'm struggling big time with motivation, I'm miserable being the size I am, but I don't think I've had my "lightbulb" moment yet. I keep telling myself I'll be better tomorrow, but tomorrow never seems to come! :neutral:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    About tomorrow. It helps to have a sit-down to assess your results and think how you might do something differently, maybe once a week. Tackle one change you would like to make, try for a week, then do your sit-down think. What went well? Keep doing that. What didn't work? Why didn't it work? What can you try next time?

Tackling this weight loss enterprise as a long term goal with set-points to re-assess, will help you track progress. I suggest also goals not related to weight; like breaking a habit or starting a new habit. I once set a target to try one new vegetable every day for a week, when I briefly tired of salads. It helped me like vegetables all over again.
  • jloverin2
    jloverin2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are breastfeeding you need more calories. The walking will give you more calories allowed. The first two weeks were very tough for me and that was more than 1200 calories a day. I am now down to the 1200 and it is easier . Biking daily during the week is really helping me. Burn more calories than a walk in same amount of time and feeling way fitter. You also need to think about the fact you will be teaching that baby to eat ......something I should have done better at with my kids . Your baby would prefer to have a fit mom and your child will likely be leSs at risk to be overweight. I eat shredded wheat with fruit in morning. Salad at lunch with cheese or chicken or a boiled egg. Dinner is whatever but small small amounts weighed and measured. I have a friend who had gastric bypass surgery and she can only eat little amounts and I thought I cand
    Do that without surgery. So far going well! 17 lbs and counting. Mostly feeling fitter and clothes fitting better though not many people noticing yet which does not help with motivation! I am really afraid of getting diabetes and that is a motivator. Anyway don't beat yourself up it is great you gained weight with that baby and that was important. Baby steps!!! You can do it
  • lorz83
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    About tomorrow. It helps to have a sit-down to assess your results and think how you might do something differently, maybe once a week. Tackle one change you would like to make, try for a week, then do your sit-down think. What went well? Keep doing that. What didn't work? Why didn't it work? What can you try next time?

Tackling this weight loss enterprise as a long term goal with set-points to re-assess, will help you track progress. I suggest also goals not related to weight; like breaking a habit or starting a new habit. I once set a target to try one new vegetable every day for a week, when I briefly tired of salads. It helped me like vegetables all over again.

That's really good advice, I think my problem is definitely that I have always overhauled my full life at once, and seen results really quickly. It hasn't lasted though, and the weight always creeps back on. I'll try that for a week, and see how I go! Thank you Xx

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have an 8 month old as well and think I'd kill someone if I were on 1200 cal a day. There is a happy medium, if you haven't had your lightbulb moment yet then why rush into it? Start off at maintenance, then aim for .5 lb a week loss, then 1 lb a week loss. You'll ease yourself into it if that's what you need and hopefully it will be easier to stick with. Good luck :).