Help - working in an office is bad for willpower!

Options
My breakfast, lunch and dinner is usually quite healthy but as soon as someone brings in biscuits or cakes into the office my willpower goes out the window! Well, not technically true, as instead of a whole cookie I'm only having half, and instead of 4 biscuits, 2 is my maximum now!

Seriously how do people say no to the office junk food table?!

Replies

• FitStrongHealthy
    FitStrongHealthy Posts: 220 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Come to work prepared. I eat a pretty filling breakfast each morning and always bring snacks to work with me to munch on throughout the day. Depending on what someone in the office brings and if it fits into my calorie goal, helps me decided whether I'm going to eat it.

This morning is a wonderful example, a coworker put a doughnut on my desk this morning. Well I had already eaten two cinnamon rolls this morning, but I also have plenty of filling snacks planned for the day and a big dinner planned for this evening, so I'm not going to eat the doughnut cause it won't fit. So I kindly told them that I had already had a big breakfast this morning but thanks for the offer.

IMO if it fits eat it, if it doesn't then do your best to avoid it or show up to work prepared.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Great advice!!! If you want it and you can work it off, eat away.
    Otherwise, just don't enter the room where the "bad" food lives or tell people you just don't want it.
    I have had lots of this situations and people will eventually understand that you aren't going to eat like you used to. Or, fit it into your macros for the day and eat as much as you want.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I don't say no. I have a serving of something that looks good and log it. Actually, food at the office has helped my willpower. I've learned I can be around that food, have a serving, and move on.
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    When I first started my new job, I used to always indulge myself whenever someone brought treats in. Took a while to get myself in gear, but now I only have something if it fits, and is something that I wouldn't normally have, like foreign treats or something homemade. I also try not to have something everyday
  • Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I used to have a lot of trouble with this. Biscuits and cakes constantly on offer and they start talking to you until you cave..! I was strict with myself and kept telling myself no, and after a little while just got used to not having them - I don't even find them tempting anymore. I have my days food with me and that's all I need.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I work in a small office, and people used to bring in a lot of food. But eventually they kind of stopped. Maybe because it became apparent that there are a few of us who rarely partake? I'm not sure. These days, I usually know in advance when we are having pizza or cake (to celebrate something or for a meeting), so I budget for it and include it that day. If I were to show up to work today and there was a surprise treat? I would evaluate how much I really want it (is it just a plain old cookie? not interested. Something really delicious that I wouldn't have at home? YES). Also I would evaluate where I can find those extra calories....cut out my afternoon snack and dessert? Fit in an extra workout tonight? If I can find the calories to use, I will use them.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    PS, are biscuits the UK term for cookies?