Calorie intake?

Angieeebabayy
Angieeebabayy Posts: 18
edited September 27 in Food and Nutrition
So I'm basically at 230 pounds right now, and my fitness tracker says I need to have 1,980 calories a day. Doesn't it seem a little high for someone who is trying to lose 1 pound a week? Is my tracker wrong? My friend says that generally everyone should be eating less than 1200, but I'm not sure.

Anyways some advise/answers would be great! :)

Replies

• acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    you should be eating MORE than 1200....if you did less than you would be in starvation mode

what did you set your activity level to?
  • I have it set to 'Lightly Active' and '4 times a week of 60 minute exercise'.
  • mict197
    mict197 Posts: 12
    Your calorie total is correct. MFP calculates it from your basal metabolic rate and subtracts the number of calories needed for your daily total, in order to lose one pound a week. My calorie total is 2830, but I am heavier than you. The heavier a person, the more calories the body needs to perform its essential functions. Just don't forget, as you lose weight you need to readjust you goals to give you the appropriate daily calorie intake.
  • Thank you :)
  • BeginningNoStop
    BeginningNoStop Posts: 78 Member
    I thought the same thing when I first signed up!! lol
  • luvmybentley
    luvmybentley Posts: 74 Member
    I have used my GOAL weight for my calorie requirements. I'm eating to just maintain my goal weight, and have been losing 3 lbs a week with only moderate exercise (30 min 6 days a week). Why would you want to eat enough calories to sustain an overweight body if you want that body to burn off the stored excess fuel? There are several diets that support this theory...for example 'The Zone' has a formula to calculate your lean body mass, and then you follow the diet to sustain your lean body mass, and your body will burn off the excess like it is supposed to. As you exercise and build muscle (thus increasing your lean body mass), you can recalculate to sustain that muscle and keep burning fat.
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    heavier people need more calories and the less you want to loose every week the more calories you get as well. and if you eat too few calories your body will go into starvation mode making you gain more weight... which is why i think i can't loose weight i'm too active i need to eat more! working a very active job for 8 hour shifts that i don't stop moving during burn like 1800 calories a day for me my calorie balance is like 2800 right now with my breakfast taken out and my shift tonight added in.
This discussion has been closed.