Contrave

Options
Today is my first day on Contrave. I took the pill & drank a protein shake with fruit shortly after. It's been 2 hours & I don't feel any of the side effects associated with taking the pill. So far, so good. I'm excited!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised you haven't lost 5 lbs yet.
  • GSanc2
    GSanc2 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You don't need to be sarcastic. I just started today.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i hope it works for you :smile:
  • GSanc2
    Options
    Thank you! I hope so too
  • nknjansen
    nknjansen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hope it works for you.

It will be interesting to see what the pharms package welbutrin as next. First it's a smoking cessation aid. Now for weight loss.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what this is.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what this is.

Combination of Zyban and Wellbutrin.

OP, I'm assuming you're doing this regimin under a doctor's supervision. Given that there are not extensive studies on this combination, and an abridged study just concluded last month, make sure you're keeping them in the loop if you experience any negative side effects. Looks like the next study is set to conclude in 7 years, so this is still very much an experimental drug. Additionally, it looks like studies have shown that the drug wasn't effective for nearly half of trial participants, so don't get discouraged if there aren't huge losses. We'll still be around to help with any questions. :)
  • nknjansen
    edited June 2015
    Options
    [ignore]
  • nknjansen
    Options
    Combination of Zyban and Wellbutrin.

Revia/Depade and Wellbutrin. Zyban is Wellbutrin packaged for smoking cessation.

• GSanc2
    Options
    Yes, I'm under Dr's supervision. There are many side effects, but I haven't had any today thus far.
  • slcooper77
    slcooper77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Over the last year (unmedicated) I have lost around 30lbs, and this was following a strict low carb calorie deficit (min 1200 cal/day), working out a minimum of three days a week (hard - combination of cardio and strength). I finally went to my Doctor about two months ago because I could not lose any more weight, and the weight I did lose would come right back no matter what I did. I took my Dr. a years worth of MFP food logs & about 6 months of my Garmin activity reports. After blood tests, a full thyroid panel (you have to ask for it) & a full physical, I am now on Contrave, Metformin for insulin resistance, B12 injections, and LARGE amounts of vitamin D. In the last 5 weeks with this giant pile of pills, I have lost about 10 lbs (~2 lbs a week) - more in a few weeks than it took me months to lose on my own following the same regimen. Once I started increasing the number of pills, it made me feel a little weird, but by about the end of the second week it balances out. The biggest complaint (I am getting a little personal here) - constipation. I drink TONS OF WATER & stay away from alcoholic drinks - they make me feel weird!! I am scheduled to go to the Doctor about every three weeks to follow up on my progress. The Doc even shared that this does not work for a lot of people, and to give it a couple of months. Good luck to you & I hope it works for you too!
  • GSanc2
    Options
    Hi slcooper77, I recently (April 2015) was diagnosed (from gynochologist) with PCOS & was put on Yaz & Metformin (I am not diabetic or pre-diabetic). I had blood work done & all of my levels were normal. I eat pretty healthy & exercise 4x a week. I had lost 3 lbs in a month. On June 9, I went for a 2nd opinion for the PCOS & my family dr prescribed Contrave. He redid all my blood work (extensive blood work) and again my levels were normal. I told him I was going to the gym, eating almost perfect, & I wasn't losing weight. Like I said in an earlier post, this is day 1 on Contrave. I sure do hope it works. So far day 1 is looking good. My family dr told me to get off of the Metformin.

How has the Metformin been with the Contrave? Have you noticed any difference?
    I wish you the best on your journey :)