Working out with a baby

Options
My baby is 11 months. She is my 1st child. Before I had her I was pretty active gym wise. I enjoyed going to the gym and working out. I'd go 2-4 times a wk depending on my schedule and I'd put in 1-2hrs again depending upon my schedule. I also did a good amount of walking and activities as well. Now I go to work and straight home to get the baby from the sitter once I'm home I stay home with the baby. I don't have the freedom in my schedule to work out at the gym. Can anyone share their at home workouts? Or experiences working at home with a baby. I feel like I can't make progress at home like I could at the gym doing cardio.

Replies

• steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Do you have any equipment at home? If not then you can always get a good workout running with the baby stroller outside or doing DVD's like Insanity or P90X.... my colleague lost all the baby weight doing the high intensity DVD thing.

I'm currently pregnant and I plan on only doing home workouts once the baby is born (well I pretty much only do home workouts now 5-6 days per week) but I have a home gym and create my own workouts with a mixture of interval training, TRX, and kettle bell workouts. The kettle bells cost 15$ and you can get an amazing high intensity workout with them. You just have to be motivated to push yourself. The TRX strap is also inexpensive and you only need a door and some open space. Plyometric routines in the house can also be effective and you only need your own body weight you just have to be motivated and be able to push yourself.

All the best.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    << See also, my profile picture.

:) Strap your baby on and get out of the house. Or pop them in a stroller. As they age, they'll imitate you, whether you're healthy, or unhealthy. Whether you're active or a couch potato. They will prioritize what you prioritize. My kid does perfect push-ups, and logs her "steps" by counting manually, and then writing down how many she counted. She can count up to 30 without help. :D As you develop a routine it gets to be more efficient and more fun.

It might be harder to LOG playing on the monkey bars at the park, but it's exercise, nonetheless.
  • tlbj77
    tlbj77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love Shaun T's Focus 25. Its high intensity and only takes 25 minutes to complete. You can do it while your baby takes a nap or when you put him/her down for bed at night.
  • Jagkat
    Jagkat Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Spend the 1 hour working out instead of cleaning house.. (With baby or while baby sleeping) if hubby complains about house just remind him clean dishes or skinny wife.. Lol
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people workout at home. If you're going to workout while the baby is asleep you might look for low impact. A rebounder (mini-trampoline) is great for quiet jogging. The bungee cord models won't squeak either.

"Walking" dvds are low impact. Look for Leslie Sansone of Jessica Smith.
  • aHurst123
    aHurst123 Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have a 7week old & just bring her along my walk outside. She loves it. Also I'm starting a strength workout at home with Apps & DVDs.
    I really believe you have to let something go until the next day. Compromise and put it off or work FAST.

Love it: skinny wife or clean dishes. Haha!
    Jagkat wrote: »
    Spend the 1 hour working out instead of cleaning house.. (With baby or while baby sleeping) if hubby complains about house just remind him clean dishes or skinny wife.. Lol

• Jasmunr
    Jasmunr Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    What about a gym with a daycare?

Other than that fitnessblender.com is a good resource.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Join a gym that has a daycare.
  • lisamarie0816
    lisamarie0816 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do workout dvds while my son plays with his toys in the living room. Or during his naps. When the weather is good I go walk or jog with him in his stroller or his wagon. Some days I just do some sit ups, jumping jacks, squats, etc. And some days im lucky to get any exercise in haha! Drink lots of water. I've been drinking warm lemon water when I wake up & it gives me some perk for the day. Hope any of this helps! :wink:
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Focus T25. I had great results with it and it is a pretty fun workout.
  • Rachel_Virginia_
    Rachel_Virginia_ Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    join a gym with a daycare if thats an option financially. invest in a good carrier and wear that baby! squats lunges long walks ;)
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I also recommend walking/running with the baby or purchasing a carrier. Also, push-ups, planks and tricep dips can be done pretty much anywhere. No equipment required.